Help with seagate back plus for Mac and PC

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by san001, Apr 11, 2014.

1. san001 macrumors member

Hi
    I have just purchased this and want to backup pictures from my pc onto it.

Will I then be able to view these files on my imac and then use it to back up all future pictures from my imac to this? (I am getting rid of the PC so need to back everything up)

I don't want to do it and then realise I should have done something else to make this possible.

Online it says to download the Seagate installer, but a thread on here said don't install any software.

Any help would be appreciated

2. skorpien macrumors 68020

In my experience, the drive itself is formatted NTFS.

NTFS is read only on a Mac, so you can view your files, but you cannot modify, delete or add new files. That installer I believe allows your Mac to be able to read and write to the NTFS drive, but I'm not 100% sure as I did not install it. I think the installer also includes some way to be able to back up your Mac's internal HDD, as you won't be able to use Time Machine to do so (TM requires an HFS+ drive).

What I ended up doing was copying the files from my Windows PC to the hard drive, then move them temporarily to my Mac's HDD and format the external as HFS+

HFS+ allows your Mac to read and write to the HDD natively, but moreover it allows you to use Time Machine to make regular backups of your Mac. Once it's formatted HFS+, you can move all of the files back onto the drive from your Mac.

A precaution though, any files stored solely on the external will need to be backed up via another method. Also, your PC will not be able to read the HFS+ formatted drive. There may be programs that allow Windows to view HFS+ HDDs but again, I'm not sure. I'd assume that since you plan on getting rid of your PC this won't be an issue, but if you have other Windows machines that will be accessing that HDD you may not want to reformat the drive.

3. san001 thread starter macrumors member

Thank you for your help and advice

4. skorpien macrumors 68020

Glad I could help :)