Help with Seagate GoFlex Satellite Drive.......

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by StuartMoore, Feb 13, 2012.

1. StuartMoore macrumors regular

Hi all.

Recently bought a GoFlex Satellite drive for taking with me offshore for use with my iPad 2.

Downloaded the Seagate media app which is pretty poor it has to be said. Okay it streams files that are in the correct format, but that's about it. You can't organise music albums etc, etc.

What's bothering me though is that when I download an avi movie from the device to my iPad, when I select "open in" to play on another app nothing happens!? I have the VLC app and AV Player HD app......am I doing something wrong!?

Seagate really need to do something about the devices app.

It's good that I have all my files with me, but could be a lot easier to use them on the iPad.

Regards, Stuart.

2. doboy macrumors 68000

You may want to try posting the question on Seagate's forum. "Open in" feature transfers the file from one app to another app so if the file is large it may take awhile, especially from external WiFi drive. I would suggest trying a small avi file first.

3. StuartMoore thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the suggestion on the Seagate forum.

But I've already transferred the file to my iPad, so the wifi speed you're referring to is out of the equation by this point......

Stuart.

4. doboy macrumors 68000

So you already transferred the file to the iPad from the Seagate drive and want to open in a different app that plays the avi files? Can you "open in" a non-avi files using different apps? Maybe the your specific avi files aren't compatible with VLC, AV Player, etc.

5. StuartMoore thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, transferred already. It doesn't give you the option to "open in" any file that is compatible with the iPad that's already transferred over, which sucks. So can't test it that way........:-/

Stuart.

6. doboy macrumors 68000

Edit: I just re-read your response. I guess you can try a smaller avi file or try soft resetting the iPad if you haven't done so in awhile. Other than that I got nothing.

7. Serxy macrumors newbie

Download good player from the app store, it will solve your problem mate, plays anything,even subtitles

cheers

8. taipan61 macrumors 6502

i guess my question is why are you transferring the file from the satellite to your iPad? i just play the file straight from the satellite using Oplayer via https://anyurl.com (opened in Oplayer)
    seagates OS sucks but it's what we have until something better comes along, other than that i have no issues or complaints with it (except maybe 1 TB would be nice...)

let us know how it works out and ask if you have any questions, i've had mine for about a year now