Help with Searches

Discussion in 'macOS' started by j3tang, Nov 6, 2010.

1. j3tang macrumors regular

Hi,

I was wondering if someone could help me with my issue.

In my movie folder, I have a folder with videos I have recorded. I name these videos according to the event and in brackets at the end I put the year.

For example:
    "Brother's Wedding (2010)"
    "Nephew's Birthday Party (2009)"
    "Parent's Anniversary (2008)"

When I browse to that video folder, I would like to be able to type "2009" into the search field in the upper right of the folder and be able to list all the folders that are in this video folder recorded in the year 2009.

Right now, what happens is that it picks up the folders with the 2009 year, but also any other files within the subfolder that may have "2009" in it. I'd like to avoid the results showing these other files and show only the folder.

Does anyone know if this can be done easily?

Thanks for any help in advance :)

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

What about setting KIND to FOLDER and saving the search?

[​IMG]

3. j3tang thread starter macrumors regular

I'ved tried that, but doesn't that mean I would need a "saved search" file to be .. well, saved somewhere for each thing i want to search (mostly by year, but occasionally other stuff too)?

and ... if I was searching for a string that also happened to be a sub-folder, that would come up as well. I guess a more simpler question would be, is it possible to tell finder NOT to search within folders for any files/folders but to search only within the current folder?

4. Hal Itosis, Nov 6, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2010

Hal Itosis macrumors 6502a

Hal Itosis

Nope, not possible. Spotlight (and thus Finder) searches are —by design —recursive.

Edit: fwiw, we can block Spotlight from *ever* searching a particular folder by adding a .noindex extension to the folder's name. If this looks unattractive in Finder, we can also hide that extension via the folder's Get Info window.

5. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Name them
    "2010 - Brother's Wedding"
    "2009 - Nephew's Birthday Party"
    "2008 - Parent's Anniversary"
    Then sort the window by Name, using Show View Options or right-click Arrange By

Create sub-folders for each year and move the files into the respective folders