help with second payed video project

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by zyr123, Jul 15, 2012.

1. zyr123 macrumors 6502

I filmed in full 1080 p a 2 hour baseball game to be edited in fcp x multi cam. The rendered out product would be around 22 gigs, is there any chance i could compress the video to 4-5 gigs while retaining most of the quality?

the multi camera footage would then be put put on a disk a 8.5 gb dual layer disk, along with 2-3 minute highlights of the game.

thank you in advance,

zflyhigh

2. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

A couple questions: is this dual layer disk meant to be played back in a DVD player or are you storing (burning) the file on it, like on a flash drive? Also do you have Compressor 4 installed? I'll try to answer all of your questions..

You can easily compress the 22GB file down to 4-5GB while retaining ~98% quality. This can be done with Compressor or even free applications like Handbrake. (Compressor 4 is recommended if you plan on doing a lot of this work). If the video is meant to be played back on a DVD in movie format then you don't have to use the 4-5GB file as your source for DVD encoding, you're better off using the full size 22GB file which will then be fit onto the disc using MPEG-2 encoding. If you plan on going this route it helps to have Compressor 4 but is not required. You can choose "DVD" as one of the Share options inside FCP X share menu. Make sure you're sharing the project containing the video meant for DVD. Then follow the on screen instructions to title your DVD, etc and click 'burn'.
    Here's the Compressor route (Recommended): Drag your exported ProRes 422 file into the Compressor 4 window, and then for presets under Disc Burning drag the MPEG-2 For DVD and Dolby Digital Professional onto the movie object in Compressor to apply those settings. Click on the MPEG-2 setting and in the inspector click on "Quality". Change the quality to Two Pass VBR Best. Leave the Dolby Digital Professional alone. Then click on the gray area under the settings on your movie in Compressor and in the inspector go to "Job Action" and choose Create DVD. You can now set a Title, choose whether DVD "Plays Automatically" or "Go To Menu" when inserted. You can set a background if you choose. Submit the job and viola!

Here's how to reduce the filesize while retaining quality using Compressor 4: Drag your exported file (use Pro Res 422 as the export format) into the Compressor window. Use one of the default settings "1080p Video Sharing". Go to the inspector, click on "Settings" for video and adjust the "Automatic" quality to "Best". Go to sound "Settings" and use a high quality compressed format like AAC with Variable Bit Rate (VBR) set to "Best" quality. Then after you save these settings "Submit" the job and compressor will produce a high quality file "originalfilename-1080p Video Sharing" which you can then put on external storage and deliver to your client for his or her archives.

3. zyr123 thread starter macrumors 6502

The two separate videos are going to be put on the dvd, and then given to the families of players. So they will be using it as a dvd not a flash drive.

i downloaded compressor last month and for some reason delated it. Why i have no clue, rookie mistake. I am in camp so my internent is from my black berry through tether (the 1 good thing about the device).

also i went to fast when setting up the project settings, and it was interlaced 1080 p 29.7 fps. I switched it back tot 1080 p and one of the cameras was fine the other only half the shot was there. i tried copying it out, into a new project with the right time line settings with no luck sadly.

thanks,

4. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

You can edit the project settings within FCP X. When looking at the Project browser, click on your project once (don't load it into the timeline) and click on the wrench in the inspector to adjust.

5. diamond3 macrumors 6502a

I'd also recommend putting a digital copy of an mp4 version on your dvd if you're planning on using a dual layer disk. Since your dvd files are going to be in SD, there should be enough room to include a compressed mp4 that comes in around 2.5gb.

Zwhaler pretty much explained everything else.

6. mBox macrumors 68020

on this topic but a little off, Im noticing that most clients (not mine but friends of mine) are asking for HD but straight to web.
    the last BD (never mind DVD) Ive done was in Feb and that was for myself.
    I havent had to build one in almost 9 months.
    Most of my recent deliverable have been files for Digital Signage.
    Broadcast has been strictly ProRes files burned on DVD/BD data.

7. zyr123 thread starter macrumors 6502

good idea ill suggest giving out digital copies instead of dvds to my client.

problem is im in camp and have no access to fast interent to download compressor. Will mpeg stream clip be able to compress the file, or would compressor be faster and easier?

i have a off topic question.

my mac is the late 2011 2.2 ghz quad 15 inch pro, 500 gb hdd not 7200 rpm, 512 vram, and 8 gb of ram ( and am planning to upgrade to 16 gb of ram in the near future).

thank you