Help with second thoughts?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by pudcraft, Sep 24, 2015.

1. pudcraft macrumors regular

Hey everyone,

I am slated to pickup my iPhone 6s Plus 64GB SG version tomorrow at the store. However, I have been having some second thoughts and I was hoping I could get some input on the matter.

I am coming from Android. Been using Android for the past 6 months (Nexus 6). I have loved Android because of the notifications and how the OS is built to provide information about you and what you want/need. This is mostly due to Google and I use Google for everything. My business uses the Google Apps, hangouts for everything, Drive for sheets, docs and slideshows. Obviously, Android was nothing but well suited. Even the Netflix -> Chromecast shows a Now Playing with controls, which I sorely missed on iOS. Stuff like casting my Chrome browser was easy. On iOS, I don't use Safari. I use Google Chrome.

Anyways, I have been torn between the Moto X Pure or the 6s+. I think the biggest factor is what you get per $$$. The quick charging, comfort to hold, SD Card slot, COST ($399), Moto Apps (quite useful), detection while driving to read my messages, auto plays Pandora when getting in car and so much more.

It just seems like there is less functionality going back to iOS along with a greater spending. Anyone else feel the same?

Thanks in advance for your $0.02

2. Neverbepeace macrumors 6502a

Neverbepeace

3. pudcraft thread starter macrumors regular

I wish I could do both, but gotta pick one or the other :(

4. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

5. pudcraft thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks. Not trying to sound biased, but just having a hard time seeing where the extra cost spending goes without losing some useful functionality. Unless iOS 9 has changed quite a bit. I haven't used iOS 9 yet.

6. karmamule macrumors 6502

karmamule

I have two lines, one android, one iOS, and appreciate the strengths (while also seeing the weaknesses) of both. The Moto X Pure Edition looks like a great phone, and I've owned the original and 2014 Moto X's for periods of time, and they were both excellent.

But, since this is an Apple-focused forum I'm going to concentrate on the positives for the 6s+ and why I didn't replace my iOS line with a Moto X Pure:

• 3D Touch: I think there is LOTS of potential here. It's more of a hunch than anything else, but I think as more and more app developers find clever ways to use this, we're going to realize that this is a game changer in terms of UIX. I've always thought having widgets on Android was a big advantage over iOS, but the convenience this brings to iOS will bring similar benefits in a different way. I like widgets because they prevent you from having to enter app/leave app, enter app/leave app as you do your various tasks, and 3D touch looks like it can solve that same problem from a different angle.
    • Camera: these have always been a weakness for the Moto X line, and while it sounds like the Pure Edition has the best of the bunch, I don't think it'll rival the top notch cameras on the new iPhones.
    • I loved the Moto X was always listening for me, and now Siri does that too.
    • Battery life: My personal experience is that my iPhones have always had better battery life than my prior Moto X's, and I don't think that'll change with this generation.
    • Screens: I loved the AMOLED displays on the old Moto X's, and was disappointed to hear they went with Ok-but-not-great LCD screens this time around. I think the iPhones will have a better screen.

Either way, I hope you're happy with whatever you end up getting!

7. sqa4life macrumors regular

I am getting an iphone 6s+ and will be keeping my S6 to switch between when I bored. Best of both worlds.

8. pudcraft thread starter macrumors regular

Some very good points. I guess, the biggest thing I hope for is that Siri becomes more useful and easier to work with. Last I remember, I struggled with her understanding half of anything I asked to get done.

I agree about the screen and camera. Apple always has this done very well. A lot I would be banking on would be the 3D Touch integration, and hope that app developers widely adopt it. I do wish the 'proactive spotlight' allowed one to put app 'widgets' there. I prefer Flipboard over Apple News or even Google Now. Wishful thinking.

Battery life is a good point. The 6s+ should yield a longer battery life, tradeoff would be the quick charge which has great benefits.