Help with Selling iPhone 3GS

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by w8ing4intelmacs, Jun 27, 2009.

1. w8ing4intelmacs macrumors 6502a

I just received my iPhone 3GS in the mail, but I'm considering selling it. I haven't opened the box yet. Can I just sell it as it, or is the SIM card already programmed with my information? Anything else I need to keep in mind?

Thanks!

2. xxshawnxx macrumors member

It might make sense to open it. Why? You might want to unlock/jailbreak your 3GS to get MUCH more for it (via eBay or craigslist.)

Unlocked 32gb 3GS iPhones are going for upwards of $1000+ on eBay right now.

3. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

Wait what?

Those are factory unlocked. I don't think you can Jailbreak/Unlock a 3GS just yet.
    I mean, the dev-team (Them or somebody else?) found a way to jailbreak/unlock it, but they didn't release the software yet.

4. JPIndustrie macrumors 6502a

JPIndustrie

Yeah but there's still plenty of AT&T subscribers who would rather not up their contract just for the 3GS.

OP, if you really could live without it, you could make a pretty penny, hope you didn't use your contact extension for it though. :(

5. bhsu21 macrumors 6502

as far as I know, you can't unlock the 3GS. So how are they able to unlock it?

6. w8ing4intelmacs thread starter macrumors 6502a

Assuming I can't unlock it, do I open it or not? Help! :)

7. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

People like unopened items more than opened ones. This is common sense. ;)

8. TSX macrumors 68030

TSX

You'll get more if its unopened you can tell them you can unlock it if they want you to after the auction is over for a fee. I just seen a legally unlock iPhone 32GB go for 900.00 just now on ebay.

9. fishbizbob macrumors newbie

10. w8ing4intelmacs thread starter macrumors 6502a

My original question was regarding the sim. Is the sim in the iPhone preprogrammed with my information (i.e., my phone number, etc)? Do I need to remove it somehow before I sell it?

11. djrayz macrumors newbie

The SIM isn't programmed with your information. You still need to plug in the phone to iTunes and run the setup on iTunes to program the sim and service with the iPhone.

The sealed iPhone you have is just like any other iPhone that Apple has in the back room stock.

Best of luck with your sale.

I wonder how much I can get for my Steve Woz autographed 16GB 3G S on eBay?? haha

12. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

in order to activate it, the person you sell it to will need your info. (specifically, your last 4 digits of your social). so you're gonna have to open it then activate and remove the sim.

13. Ssingh02 macrumors newbie

Hi i am also wondering if i can sell it on ebay without opening it. Do i have to remove the sim or can i just sell it unopened? If i do sell it unopened does that mean the buyer will get my account info because its on the sim?

14. cocky jeremy macrumors 68040

cocky jeremy

I'd keep it.. but.. I'd wait a week or two. Dev Team is close to a jailbreak/unlock. If they get it soon, do that, then sell. If not, sell it without opening it. "unopened" in the title on eBay makes for a much easier sell. :)