Help with selling iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by isharan, Jun 17, 2009.

1. isharan macrumors member

Hi,

So here's my current situation with AT&T. I currently have an iPhone 3G that I bought last summer and want to upgrade to the 3GS. I'm on a family plan, and although my line isn't upgrade eligible, the other line is. What I want to do is sell my 3G and buy the 3GS on the other line, and switch numbers. I assume I can do this, as its what I did last year with my 3G when my line wasn't eligible but another line was.

So here are my two questions:

1) When I sell my iPhone, is there anything I need to do in terms of AT&T, or can the other guy just insert his sim card?
    2) Will I be charged twice for a data plan when I buy the 3GS?

Thanks!

2. isharan thread starter macrumors member

Also, if anybody could tell me if something needs to be done on his part when buying the phone, I would greatly appreciate it.

3. Stocktrader macrumors member

Assuming buyer is already an AT&T customer with a sim card he would do the following:
    1. Insert sim card
    2. Connect iPhone to iTunes
    3. Activate to existing account (put in your #)
    4. Approve adding $30 data plan to your service.
    5. Enjoy.

4. isharan thread starter macrumors member

Just wondering – why do I put in my number? Doesn't he just add the sim card and add it to his existing plan?

5. isharan thread starter macrumors member

6. Stocktrader macrumors member

On the activation screen, he has to enter his phone number (to pull up the account).

I was referring to the BUYER putting in HIS number not YOUR number (the seller)