Help with setting up 2 hard drives in 2012 13" MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TeddyKGBee, Aug 26, 2012.

1. TeddyKGBee macrumors newbie

Hey everyone-

So, I've done quite a bit of research into installing the 2nd hard drive, have all of the materials and tools, and now I'm just waiting for my macbook to get here tomorrow. I'll be restoring my computer using my time machine backup (last computer was stolen) and I decided to host applications and boot data on SDD (main drive) and all other home folders on the HD in the optical bay.

So, I read quite a bit about doing this and I don't think it will be too difficult, but I did not see one suggestion, anywhere, that says to format the hard drive in the optical bay once the OS is installed on the SSD. I'm assuming that this would be the best and easiest way to get the drive set up for data storage.

After I format it, I would then relocate the home folders, redirect everything in Lion, and then do my time machine restore. Has anyone else done this and is there any reason why I would not want to format the HD that I'll be transferring to the optical bay?

Thanks for any and all help-

Tom

2. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

If format both drives from the get go personally.

3. 262Runnr macrumors regular

262Runnr

I will also be getting my 2012 13" MBP refurb tomorrow and plan on doing this also. Let us know how it goes.
    I already have 2X8GB of 1600Mhz RAM that will go in right away...:)
    My plan is to wait for the 512GB SSD prices to come down towards the end of this year before doing the mod.

4. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

You can get a 512MB Crucial M4 SSD for $399, that is CHEAP! http://www.amazon.com/Crucial-2-5-I...qid=1346032138&sr=8-1&keywords=crucial+m4+512

5. 262Runnr macrumors regular

262Runnr