Help with setting up Mac Mini to connection with iPhone 3G via Wi-Fi

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by hauntedkop, Jan 5, 2009.

1. hauntedkop macrumors newbie

Hi!

I'm a beginner with Mac and I'd like to set up my Mac Mini (with Airport Extreme on Tiger) so that it can connect with my iPhone 3G via Wi-Fi. I should be grateful if someone could kindly let me have a step-by-step guide as to how to do this please.

Thank you in advance for any assistance.

:apple:

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

You mean you want to use your Mac Mini to allow your iPhone to connect to the internet (without using wireless data stuff)? Is that what you're after? I have my iMac configured to do just that for my iPod Touch.

If you want to use your iPhone to allow your Mac Mini to connect to the internet using its wireless access, you can't, unfortunately.

3. hauntedkop thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks BlueRevolution. That's not what I'm trying to do though.

Basically, I've come across a couple of apps which allow files to be share between iPhone and your Mac via Wi-Fi. However, I've absolutely no idea what I need to do to my Mac mini (I'm assuming I need to do more than just turn Airport on) to allow my iPhone to pick it up as one of the Wi-Fi connection.

Any help would be much appreciated.

4. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Okay. For this you'll need to create a computer-to-computer network. Doing so is incredibly straightforward; see my screenshots. Be sure to set a password on the network. Once you've done that, it should show up in your iPhone and you'll be able to connect to that.

Attached Files:

5. hauntedkop thread starter macrumors newbie

BlueRevolution, thank you for your very helpful and clear instructions. I managed to connect my Mac mini with my iPhone. Thank you so much! You are a rock star! :)

6. gusxavier macrumors newbie

That's Ok. I have some questions:
    1) How can I use a WPA secure network? Could you post some screenshots?
    2) I use Windows XP by Bootcamp on my Macbook. How can I use the internet under Windows?
    3) A printer is plugged to the Macbook. This printer works only under Windows. How can use the printer by the iMac?

7. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution