Help with setting up network!

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by paragonj, Mar 26, 2008.

1. paragonj macrumors member

Hello all,

I recently purchased a Time Capsule and an AirPort Express (802.11n) to expand the network in my house, however I am running into some trouble getting it set up the way that I would like. Maybe somebody can lead me in the right direction as to what to do (or if I'm barking up the wrong tree). I've attached three pictures describing the network topology I originally had, the topology I currently have gotten set up and the topology I would ideally like to have.

Original Setup
    Linksys WRT54GS Router supporting entire network. The router is in one room and all of my devices are in another. MacBook Pro, Wii, and WinXP PC all attached wirelessly. WinXP PC successfully sharing an All-in-one Printer (though scanning is only possible from the WinXP computer). WinXP network card being used to provide internet to a DirecTV HD DVR, though this had problems and didn't always work properly.

Current Setup
    Added TC and AE to network. TC is in same room as Linksys, AE is in same room as all other devices. TC is set to bridge mode and AE is extending TC network. These two create a separate 5GHz 802.11n network. With bridge mode, the Linksys administers IP addresses for everything. MacBook Pro connects to N network wirelessly, WinXP PC and Wii connect to B/G network wirelessly. DirecTV HD DVR connects to ethernet port on AE. This solves connectivity problems and HD DVR now works fine with internet. My MBP however, is no longer able to see the printer on my WinXP PC, even though it can successfully connect to the PC and browse files on it. I am not interested in hooking my printer up to USB on the AE or TC, as I would like to keep scanning capability.

Desired Setup
    I have an old D-Link DI-604 (4-port router) laying around, and I was thinking that maybe I could hook this up to the AE and then connect all my other devices (DirecTV HD DVR, Wii, and WinXP PC) through that. I would have to set up the DI-604 to bridge mode (something I am having trouble figuring out how to do, any suggestions appreciated). As this would cause all my devices to be "inside" the Time Capsule, I could then turn DHCP on the TC, and wall it off from the Linksys. I don't want to remove the Linksys, because it is my roommates' router which they would still use. This setup would be beneficial in that it would kind of wall off my devices from evertyhing else in the house.

So I guess what it boils down to is two main questions:
    1) Why isn't my shared printing working in my current setup?
    2) Is it possible to attached a router to the AE to connect multiple wired devices to it? 2a) If so, how do I set up the DI-604 in bridge mode?

Sorry for the long winded post, but I've been trying to configure this stuff and haven't been able to figure out these problems.

Thanks for any responses!

Attached Files:

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Your shared printer isn't working because the devices exist on a different subnet. Don't wall off the router, just turn off the DHCP assignement in the router and let the TC assigne the IP address to those devices (basically turning the Router into a Switch/Hub). Also, just connect your Cable modem directly to the TC (skipping the first router) as the TC can do all the work your other router already does.

TEG

3. paragonj thread starter macrumors member

I think you may have misunderstood the setup. The TC isn't walled off right now, it is in bridge mode. The Linksys assigns IP addresses for everything (i.e. everything is on the same subnet). I can browse files on the PC my printer is attached to and even see the printer. I just am unable to print to it (I get a communication error when I attempt to).

The Time Capsule could do all the work of the other router, if I wanted to have a mixed b/g/n network. I'm interested in having an N only network for my devices, and letting my roommates' "playground" be the b/g router without impacting the Time Capsule's wireless performance.

4. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

If the first Linksys is serving up all the IP addresses, could you not just connect your printer to the TC or the APX? Windows 2000 and better can print to Airport Connected Printers.

Also, as long as you set up the APX in WDS mode you can connect any number of systems to it via the Ethernet port. The only problem with WDS is I'm unsure if it will work in full N mode (2.4 or 5GHz), as some people have said that it only works in b/g/n mode, that is why I was thinking you could eliminate the first router.

TEG

5. paragonj thread starter macrumors member

I can't connect the printer to the TC or APX because I'd like to keep scanning functionality (and definitely not the TC because it is in another room).

I don't have the APX in WDS mode. I have it in "Extend a wireless network" mode. This is because, as you said, when I try to set it to "Participate in WDS network" the only option is "802.11n (802.11b/g compatible)". In "extend" mode, the ethernet port is actively providing internet when connected directly to my DirecTV HD DVR in this configuration. Is there any reason I couldn't put a router there instead (in bridge mode) to serve multiple devices, given that it is working when connected to one device?

6. paragonj thread starter macrumors member

7. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

What kind of Printer is is? Most updated HP drivers allow for scanning use over a wireless network (or wired if it has an ethernet port). To the best of my knowledge, other Routers won't connect to wireless networks, just serve them. Also, if you are already going to have a b/g network, why would you wire-up a Wii, since it has built-in Wireless?

TEG

8. paragonj thread starter macrumors member

It's an HP Photosmart C3180. I was under the impression that it was impossible to scan using an AirPort connected printer. If that is not true, then I would just connect the printer using AirPort. Are you sure about this?

I don't have any compelling need to put the Wii on the wired network besides having all my devices "inside" my Time Capsule network. It's easily the least important thing in this setup.