Help with setting up RAID on my Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by MikeFightNight, Sep 15, 2009.

1. MikeFightNight macrumors newbie

OK I just got a new Nehalem quad core Mac Pro. I am new to Mac and I bought it because I will be doing some heavy video editing. I have 4 harddrives for it, a 640gb that came with it, and 3 1TB seagates barracuda's. My question is exactly how I should set up my RAID config to be as fast as possible?

I have read some articles about RAID 0 on Mac Pro's but am a little confused. Setups that any of you use would be much appreciated.

2. gugucom macrumors 68020

gugucom

The natural is to use a RAID0 with a SW RAID on the three identical 1 TB drives. If you find them still too slow cut a big enough partition off the top and RAID0 the top partitions. The bottom partitions can also be RAIDed together. You work on that top Raid and save on the bottom RAID. The smaller you make the top section for your work in progress, system and apps the faster it gets. 10/90 would be a base figure.

Dont forget the backup. It needs to be on a different drive and your 640 is obviously useless for that. Exchange it for a 2TB and you will be covered for some time. When this runs out you could be adding another 2TB on the 2nd optical port.

3. MikeFightNight thread starter macrumors newbie