Help with setting vnc server to PC's at work so I can connect to them using ARD3.3.2

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by 212rikanmofo, Feb 2, 2010.

1. 212rikanmofo macrumors 65816

We have about 6 machines at work running on Windows XP, Windows 7, Windows Vista. And I would like to remotely administer them using my Macbook. I am using the latest ARD 3.3.2 but I am having problems getting VNC to properly work on certain computers at work. I have downloaded the VNC lite 4.1.3 free edition, and set a password, but when I attempt to start it up in service mode I get an error saying it cannot bind to port 5900. So I changed the VNC on that machine to use port 5901 instead. and it works, but however the dos prompt winodw wont close. It just stays open. and if I close it out, it will shut down the vnc service entirely. Is there a better VNC server alternative for windows besides "RealVNC"? Sigh.

And since we have 6 PC's and if i install acopy of vnc server on eahc machine do I need to change each one to a diff port like 5901, 590, 5903, etc?

I want to be able to monitor all the computer simultaneously if needed. Would appreciate some help from you network experts out there.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I use TeamViewer for remote desktop support and management of both Macs and Windows PCs.