Help with sharing usb keyboard and mouse with MBP and PC

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Prhymeate, Oct 14, 2010.

1. Prhymeate macrumors member

Hi,

I have a PC and a MBP and want to connect the MBP to my desktop monitor, mouse and keyboard. I know I need the mini displayport adapter for the monitor. What do I need that will let me use my usb keyboard and mouse on my PC and Mac without having to unplug them every time I want to switch?

thanks in advance

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

3. Panch0 macrumors 6502a

It's called a KVM Switch (stands for Keyboard - Video - Mouse). Search you favorite online store, you should get many hits.

4. Prhymeate thread starter macrumors member

cheers guys. i've had a look around, it seems difficult to find a switch that does two USB in and 4 USB out. I'll keep hunting though.

thanks again :)

5. Motliest Crue macrumors regular

I have the Belkin Flip (amazon 29.99 when I bought it) it has an audio in, 2 usb slots, and a small remote. I have my external monitor hooked up via mini display and an Apple wired keyboard / Logitec Marathon Mouse hooked up via USB along with speakers to audio - works perfect every time for both my PC and MBP

6. Panch0 macrumors 6502a

Here's an Example...
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817399032

Not that I'm recommending that one - it's just the first one that came up at Newegg.

The Description calls it a "2 Port KVM" - that means that it will support 2 computers from one set of devices. The mouse and Keyboard can share a USB port on the computer side, so you may only see what looks like 2 USB in and 2 out.

7. Prhymeate thread starter macrumors member