Help with sizing, please please please?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by polarbear79, Mar 10, 2017.

1. polarbear79, Mar 10, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2017

polarbear79 macrumors newbie

I need help because I just cannot make up my mind. I've had the AW 2015 in 38 mm and have been happy with it, but now I want to upgrade to Series 2 for my birthday. Since I don't have an Apple Store anywhere near me, I ordered both, and now I cannot decide which to keep. I really love the larger screen of the 42 and although it felt clunky at first, it doesn't anymore. But then I've had the 38 so far and never had any issues with the screen size at all, and it is lighter and less noticeable on my wrist. So I'm going strictly by appearance. Which one looks better? I don't like watches that are overly feminine and small (although I am a woman), but I don't like them too big either (like a TV strapped to my wrist or simply unproportional). Which one should I keep?

(Excuse the sloppy clothing – I work from home and have a small child ;-))

The 42:
    IMG_6031.jpeg IMG_6025.jpeg

The 38:
    IMG_6036.jpeg
    IMG_6027.jpeg

2. chuyn macrumors 6502

3. abdulkar.im macrumors 6502a

abdulkar.im

4. jbachandouris macrumors 68040

jbachandouris

There were threads like this when the watch first came out. No matter what others say, YOU will ultimately be the one wearing it.

I tried wearing the 38 and it looked too small. The 42 looks huge in pictures of me wearing it, but in real life it looks just fine.

5. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

Your wrists are small so if worried about "looks" get the smaller AW.

6. Fynd macrumors 6502

The face of the watch shouldn't entirely cover your wrist, IMO.

Plus you should keep your band options open. That band blends into the watch, but what if you wanted to wear one that had lugs or bars? They'd be outside of your wrist and it would look pretty poor.

7. Thai macrumors 6502a

Thai

42. Not bad in the 2nd picture. Only heads on closeup do you notice 42 being big. 42 has better battery life and IMO, being an electronic device to display data, the bigger the better.

And isn't it fashion nowadays for women to wear big watches? If so, then this is good fit. :)

8. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

I'd go with the 38mm looking at the pictures. I bought a 38mm as I too have small wrists. I think some Watch designs can be worn bigger but the AW in my opinion looks better in proportion.

9. hexagenia macrumors member

hexagenia

Ditto on the 38mm, though your preference is most important.

10. BenAigen macrumors regular

BenAigen

11. polarbear79 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you very much, guys! I'll probably keep the 38 then. I love the display of the 42, but then the 38 is much lighter and more comfortable. Since I like both, I want to keep the one that looks better. I've looked at similar threads, and for most people with my wrist size (150 mm) I would have said 38.
    As for bands, I only like the sport and nylon bands on me, so I'll never deal with lugs.

Good thing there's a forum full of people who are as obsessed as I am...or maybe not quite as much. But it's a momentary thing because I won't upgrade for another couple of years (am upgrading for the GPS), so I have to pick the one I'll be happy with now.

IMG_6026.jpeg IMG_6028.jpeg IMG_6035.jpeg IMG_6037.jpeg

12. Relentless Power macrumors G5

Relentless Power

Agreed. I am fond of some of these mechanical Watches available, Invicta for example, but it's comically large on my wrists. I would rather have a smaller Watch/bezel on my wrist, than something that is over sized and uncomfortable.

13. FrisbeeK9 macrumors 6502a

FrisbeeK9

I think the 38 fits you.

14. LaurieAnn macrumors regular

LaurieAnn

I agree, the 38 looks better. Plus you also commented on the comfort being better with the 38.

15. polarbear79 thread starter macrumors newbie

16. abdulkar.im macrumors 6502a

abdulkar.im

17. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

I am a huge advocate of, if the 42 is on the border line of being a little too big go with it anyway.
    I definitely think you made the right decision with the 38, congrats

18. polarbear79 thread starter macrumors newbie

So you think that the 42 is not borderline, but definitely too big? ;-)

19. dschulian macrumors regular

dschulian

20. Thai macrumors 6502a

Thai

I don't know...seems like 38 makes more sense, but deep down, you want 42...just saying.... :)

[​IMG]

This picture is what other people see of your 42...and there is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING wrong with the 42 size from OTHER PEOPLE's perspective. With 42 you gain battery life AND easier to read data (esp as you get older).

21. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

The size difference is minimal when comparing the usability of the screen in my experience. The watch itself can look bulky if it covers literally the width of somebody's wrist. It's up to the user though and if they like that look then that's all that matters, it's just personal preference.

I have skinny wrists and am male so I went for the 38mm. It fits nicely under a shirt sleeve for work and I feel I'm less likely to knock it when it's in proportion. You can also see some of the strap on the top of my wrist rather than them hanging down each side. As a Watch guy it's just my traditional preference.
    [​IMG]

22. DotCom2 macrumors 68030

I think the 38 looks the best on you. Wear it and enjoy it. When and if Apple ever comes out with a smaller profile one, you can sell this one and get the larger but less clunky new 42 model. That's what I'm going to do anyway.

23. polarbear79 thread starter macrumors newbie

I was going to sell my Series 0 AW in order to buy this one, but I would get almost nothing for it. That's why I ordered the new one in rose gold – now I have a silver and a rose gold model and can wear them according to mood (except for my runs – only the new one will do for those, of course).

The-Real-Deal82: You could definitely wear both, but you have small wrists as well, and this watch looks just right on you! And yes, I imagine the shirt cuffs being more comfortable with the smaller watch!

Thank you so much for all your opinions! I have only worn the 38 yesterday (before that I was constantly switching) and can see now that the smaller one is the better choice for me, especially with a sport band. I'm very happy with it!

IMG_5503.JPG