Help with slow network speeds on iphone/ipad compared to macbook

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by bigpatky, Apr 8, 2011.

1. bigpatky, Apr 8, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2011

bigpatky macrumors regular

Sep 7, 2007
    Here's what I have: 2006 c2d macbook pro; ipad 2; iphone 3gs. All on wifi from my linksys dual band router. MBP and ipad2 on wireless-n, iphone on wireless g. Using on the macbook, I get 30 mbps down and 8 up (even more than what I pay comcast for which is 22 down and 5 up). Using the app, i barely get 3 down but get 4-5 up on my ipad and 1-2 down and 3-4 up on my iphone. All devices are using the current firmware. I've tested them near and far away from the router w/in my house. Same results. What gives? How can I improve the network speed on my ipad and iphone?

Any advice on settings I can change on my router? Does anyone else experience this? I can understand the laptop being capable of processing more data than an iphone or iphone but this seems drastic.

UPDATE: After some more searching, I read that opendns sometimes causes problems instead of using comcast's dns servers when using that network and auto-brightness sometimes causes problems. I went back to the regular comcast dns servers and turned off auto-brightness on both i-devices. Network improved to 4-5 mbps down and 8-9 up on ipad and 3 down and 6-7 up on iphone. That's at least something. Also of note, I tested network transfer speed using goodreader. I was able to transfer large files over wifi to my ipad at a consistent 25 mbps from my macbook. That tells me it isn't my router, but something about the internet. (sorry for my elementary level explanation).
  2. rbmartiniv macrumors newbie

Nov 20, 2006
    Nacogdoches, TX
    Just the Opposite with Me

I have a 2011 MacBook Pro (wireless N) on a DLink wireless G router. I also have an iPad (I) and an iPhone 3G, both wireless N. I subscribe to Suddenlink's cable internet 15.0 Mbps service. When I run speedtests, both my iPad and iPhone show 6 - 9 Mbps while my MBP shows around 3 Mbps. All on my home WLAN within a few minutes of each test. Any idea why my MBP is slower than the iPad and iPhone?