Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kmarketing

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 26, 2004
Hi,

I'm hoping some of you already have experience with this and can post some pics, as I have found some but just haven't found what I am looking for...

I have the chance to get 2 macbooks with issues for good prices, and need some advice.

1. White Macbook Core 2 Duo 2.16, etc. working fine except screen is cracked. Stains on top casing.
2. Black macbook Core 2 Duo 2.0, had some liquid spill so it is not working properly, but screen is perfect, casing is near perfect.

So these are some of the ideas that I had with them:
1. Sell them as-is and make a decent profit.
2. Swap the lcd (only the lcd) from the black one to the white macbook. That would make the white macbook complete, but it does have the stains. I'm not sure if I would like to keep the white macbook, so I would probably sell it.
3. Swap the entire display housing from the black macbook to the white one - so it would be a white base with black screen.
4. Swap the entire housing, plus the black top case onto the white one, so it would be half white, half black.
5. Swap the top cases, and only black bezel, so it looks like white on the outside and black on the inside.
6. The most tedious would be to swap the logic boards to have a complete black macbook, which I would l ove to have but am nervous of the process.

What do you think? What are your suggestions? If you have any pics or links, that would be greatly appreciated.

I of course have concerns with the workings of the top case and keyboard of the black macbook, but it looks great so far, and the original owner said that it was not much liquid at all. Hopefully that all works out.

Thanks for your help!

jay1097

macrumors member
Mar 6, 2008
Montreal
Black case, white inside is the way to go if you know what your are doing. Sell the rest. Then you can wait until a new macbook with the montivia chipset comes out and buy that one. either way good luck

kmarketing

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 26, 2004
Hi,

I actually found a pic of that. Would anyone happen to have the opposite - white with black on the inside?

I also do like the idea of a white macbook with black keyboard.

Here are some pics that I found browsing the web. I'd like to give credit to whomever its due, and if I am breaking any rules by using someone else's pics, please do whatever necessary :)

Attachments

• black-keyboard-white-macbook-6.jpg
    black-keyboard-white-macbook-6.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 2,511
  • mbfullde7.jpg
    mbfullde7.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 1,438
  • mbhalfwn9.jpg
    mbhalfwn9.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 665

TSE

macrumors 68040
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota
I think you should put the whole outside of the black case and replace it with the outside of the stained white case, then replace the LCD with the working one. Replace the white keys with black. That would look AWESOME.

kmarketing

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 26, 2004
Hi,

The problem with having the black on the outside (at least for the bottom half) would be swapping the logic board and other parts. I'd do it if that is best, but am hesitant since it is the most daunting task. And if I did do that, I would probably just keep it all black.

Thanks for the replies and keep them coming...

jascalise

macrumors newbie
Feb 23, 2009
Off subject kind of, i have a White Macbook Core 2 Duo 2.16 and my friend has a Black macbook Core 2 Duo 2.0 so the top row of keys are different.. can we switch out the keys, if so, how?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.