Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Electrics

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 17, 2015
Hey guys, I am having a problem with my new iPhone 6S and would appreciate some help.

Over the course of many years and many iPhones I have opened MP3's on my Mac computer and they automatically went into iTunes. Then when syncing my iPhone those songs would automatically show up on my iPhone, this went on for years and I built up many MP3's on the iPhone.

Last year my Mac crashed and when I replaced it I never started using iTunes again. At that same time I started backing up my iPhone to the iCloud.

So yesterday I restored my new iPhone 6S from the cloud using a backup from 2 weeks ago when my iPhone 5 was destroyed, everything worked fine and was updated correctly- except for all those songs- they disappeared!

The only songs I have listed in the "Music" app are some that I bought from iTunes years ago. All of my MP3's are gone. My playlists are empty.

I thought a backup of the phone and the Music app would backup all those songs. Why didn't it? And how can I get those songs back?

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
I bought from a local Verizon store and sales person told me I would have that issue - fortunately I still have itunes version -however I didn't my songs all appeared from (tool a long time) when I did the iCloud resture.

DigitalPharmcst

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2014
Bull City, North Carolina
From what I remember when restoring from the cloud, only stuff that you've downloaded through iTunes is available because Apple has a list of stuff you've downloaded. As far as stuff you own that wasn't downloaded, unless you did the iTunes Match thing, you can't get the songs back without plugging your phone into the computer with the songs.

I restored my 5 from an old back up on my 4 and none of my songs were included, just my contacts and stuff. Without having access to the original music you're kinda screwed. I went with google play music so that I'd always have all of my songs backed up on their cloud. I can access the music from anywhere and don't even need to have the songs on my phone physically.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.