Help with sony vidcam hdr sr12 "drivers"

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by louisevermeulen, Mar 5, 2010.

1. louisevermeulen macrumors newbie

hay guys, i have a problem
    Here is what i want to do,
    i want to import videos from my vidcam into final cut studio, so i can play with it there. However my new mac can't detect the vidcam, it does however detect when the vidcam is plugged in, however it only recognizes it as a usb type device not as a vidcam. So i phoned apple and asked for assistance, they suggested updating the software(which i did). This however did not help, as the vidcam is still just a "memory space". I can access the videos but they are in MTS format, which is not supported in final cut studio and i would prefer to work directly from the vidcam and not use a video converter to convert them first. So basically to put it in one sentence how do i get my mac to recognize my sony hdr sr12 video camera, as a camera and not a unknown usb type device.
    any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks for your time

2. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Which version of Final Cut Studio?
    Specs of your Mac?

Also have a look at the Apple support forums… there are plenty of questions (and some answers) about the Sony SR-12.
    It seems you are not alone in having problems.
    :)

Edit: This link (dealing with importing .MTS file format) might be useful…

3. seisend macrumors 6502a

seisend

I have the Sr11 . It's the same model, except it has a 60GB HDD. It's normal, that the cam is recognized as a USB drive and you see the .MTS files. I just clicked in Final Pro on "file" and "log and transfer". Final Cut Pro should have recognized you're SR12 already. If it doesn't, you may have to change some settings in Final Cut Pro. I'm not at home now so I don't remember what settings. Aswell in iMovie, just turn the Camera on and set it into the USB mode and iMovie should detect it automatically. I had to wait some time at the first try. You don't have to use converters.

I have no drivers for my Sony Cam installed.