Help with spill on MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by b0mboms, Jan 1, 2012.

1. b0mboms macrumors newbie

My sister had a 13 inch macbook pro and she ended up spilling nail polish remover or something on it when it was about 6 months old and she took it to the apple store and they said that it would be too expensive to fix it so she ended getting another one since she needed it for college.

Fast forward about a year and i take a look at and i can see the screen just with no backlight. I had recently purchased a mini dvi to hdmi adapter and plug the macbook pro into the screen and it works almost perfectly. Everything works fine except for a few buttons to be specific (Left Shift button and the numbers 1-4, Their might be more but from my experience that it all i found)

My question would be is it a problem with the logic board or the screen? if so how much would it roughly cost to fix. Not looking for anything exact just some info. Thanks advance.

2. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

If the backlight just doesn't work, you might be able to get away with only replacing the inverter board. You'll have to replace the keyboard (if you're really really good with taking apart and replacing things) or the whole top case. The inverter board is relatively cheap, the top case is much more expensive. I can't look up the prices because my internet here is ridiculously slow (seriously, it's DSL about as fast as dial-up) but that should get you started on your quest.

3. Queen of Spades macrumors 68030

Queen of Spades

It's a logic board problem. Could be a fried inverter or something for the screen issues. That's also why the Geniuses suggested she get a new computer. Logic board repairs (parts + labor) for 13" MBPs by Apple run about $750, although you may be able to snag one cheaper if you look to eBay/third party sellers and think you can install it yourself.

Your best bet would probably be to part it out or sell it as a liquid damaged unit on eBay and get a couple hundred for it. You could also just keep using it with an external screen/keyboard and make it a bootleg mac mini.

4. thundersteele macrumors 68030

As the poster above me, I also think it's a logic board problem, and not worth replacing.

I would use it as desktop with an external monitor and keyboard. That's the best way to still make use of it I think.

5. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

I'm trying to understand the situation here. The first laptop was damaged because of the spill. It activated the water detectors I'm assuming. It was brought to the Apple Store and seems like they looked at it but at the same suggested for a new laptop. Anyway, for this new laptop, why not just go the Apple Store? Have replace the logic board. I had a black MBP 13" and I brought it in literally 1 day before the warranty expired. The genius took it in and practically replaced the case and the logic board and the super drive.

It hasn't been that long. Just take it in. Unless there's a spill again on this one.

6. chillfrilla macrumors member

LOL another one

never place drink near computer

atleast invest in a keyboard cover cause that cheap thing would have prob saved her mac