Help with spotlight indexing a read+write NTFS partition

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by 1nfinity0nhigh, Sep 15, 2014.

1. 1nfinity0nhigh, Sep 15, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2014

1nfinity0nhigh macrumors newbie

Whenever I search for anything on my NTFS partition, finder turns up 0 results, even when the file I'm searching for is right there.

Yes I know OS X doesn't support writing to NTFS, however it should still be able to read/search one. Additionally, I installed the Paragon NTFS driver, so it should be able to indexing/write to the partition, with no problem. Additionally, you can turn indexing off in Windows (for the same partition), and it will still search and successfully find your files.

Can anyone help me fix this?

2. 1nfinity0nhigh thread starter macrumors newbie

3. crjackson2134 macrumors 68020

crjackson2134

I'm no expert, but it sounds like your title should be reworded to ask for Help with spotlight indexing a read only NTFS partition.

I would tell you how to do that, but I don't an NTFS drive to play with at the moment.

4. 1nfinity0nhigh thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks! How can I change the name of this thread?

5. crjackson2134 macrumors 68020

crjackson2134

EDIT > GO ADVANCED

Then change it or add a sub-title

Also do a google search on the subject. It may be as simple as telling spotlight to re-index the drive/partition. It may also be that it can't be indexed due to being read only. I seriously almost never need to search for anything and spotlight doesn't get used much. I don't have physical access to my Mac right now, so it's hard for me to nail this down for you.

I wold Google the problem while waiting for a knowledgeable member to jump in with some solid information.

Have a look at this for example http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2409?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

It's not an exact match for your question, but it's headed in the right direction I think.

6. 1nfinity0nhigh thread starter macrumors newbie

7. NoBoMac macrumors 6502a

What crjackson2134 said re: hit a search engine.

The issue with Spotlight is that it writes index files to the volume (eg. from a terminal, cd /, ls -la | grep -i spot).

I've seen in the past folks have done it, but, it's a manual process of generating the index, then moving it over to the NTFS drive, iirc.