Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kslingo

macrumors member
Original poster
May 16, 2007
So I recently installed a 120gb ssd in my machine and installed Yosemite. Now when I reboot, I get a prohibition symbol. Basically its a no smoking sign. I have to power off the machine and power back on...

So my question is could my sata cable be going bad? It says waiting for root device when I restart.

Also I have returned the drive and got a replacement and the replacement does the same thing. Its a 2010 MB Pro 13".

Thanks for your assistance.

Last edited:

Blackstick

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2014
OH
Could be a bad cable. Only $60 or so for part and labor at Apple. They won't charge if it continues to be broken.

kslingo

macrumors member
Original poster
May 16, 2007
I don't know if I have TRIM enabled... I literally took it out of the box, installed it in macbook pro, then put my flash drive with 10.10 installer in the drive and installed it... Then when it rebooted from the install it gave me that symbol.

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Put the original drive back and see if it boots correctly. That will demonstrate weather there are any issues other than the drive (eliminate the question of the cable).

If that works, clone the drive to the SSD and see what happens. If that works, then worry about Yosemite.

Also, how about going back to the first post and edit the title to be more descriptive of your problem. You'll get more help that way.

It would be helpful to post the full system specs. to determine how to proceed. What OS version are you trying to upgrade from?

Last edited:

kslingo

macrumors member
Original poster
May 16, 2007
My 5400 RPM HD works fine in the machine so that's not a problem.

----------

Put the original drive back and see if it boots correctly. That will demonstrate weather there are any issues other than the drive (eliminate the question of the cable).

If that works, clone the drive to the SSD and see what happens. If that works, then worry about Yosemite.

Also, how about going back to the first post and edit the title to be more descriptive of your problem. You'll get more help that way.

It would be helpful to post the full system specs. to determine how to proceed. What OS version are you trying to upgrade from?

MacBook Pro 13" 2010
2.4 GHZ Intel core 2 duo
8gb ram
120gb SSD.

Fresh install of Yosemite

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Okay, hopefully you have a USB enclosure that you can put the SSD into and clone your working drive to.

How are you backing up your system? You can use a Time Machine backup to do a full restore to the new SSD. It's a very good method for getting your working OS onto the SSD.

kslingo

macrumors member
Original poster
May 16, 2007
Read the thread I linked to. It is only 16 posts. I think it will solve your problem.

I tried the TRIM solution and it didn't work... Im starting to think its a bad cable, but it doesn't make sense that the original hard drive works fine, but the sata drive is being picky...

----------

Okay, hopefully you have a USB enclosure that you can put the SSD into and clone your working drive to.

How are you backing up your system? You can use a Time Machine backup to do a full restore to the new SSD. It's a very good method for getting your working OS onto the SSD.

Well my plan was to just reinstall Yosemite and use Migration Assistant from the other hard drive in a enclosure. I think I am going to make an appointment at the apple store to see if it is in fact the data cable.

----------

Another interesting thing is when I reboot before it says "Still waiting for root device" it says waiting for boot-udid-media.

kslingo

macrumors member
Original poster
May 16, 2007
Did I missread something?

He said it's a new drive out of the box and using a virgin installer. Trim hasn't been implemented yet.

Yes, I took the drive out of the box and formatted it as Mac OS X Extended (Journled) then I installed Yosemite from a flash drive that I have.

I then tried Mavericks to see if it was a bug with yosemite, but sadly its not :(

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
I tried the TRIM solution and it didn't work... Im starting to think its a bad cable, but it doesn't make sense that the original hard drive works fine, but the sata drive is being picky...

----------

Well my plan was to just reinstall Yosemite and use Migration Assistant from the other hard drive in a enclosure. I think I am going to make an appointment at the apple store to see if it is in fact the data cable.

----------

Another interesting thing is when I reboot before it says "Still waiting for root device" it says waiting for boot-udid-media.

Is this an Apple SSD?

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Yes, I took the drive out of the box and formatted it as Mac OS X Extended (Journled) then I installed Yosemite from a flash drive that I have.

I then tried Mavericks to see if it was a bug with yosemite, but sadly its not :(

If you put this thing in an enclosure and check out the drive, you MIGHT save yourself a trip to the Apple Store.

kslingo

macrumors member
Original poster
May 16, 2007
If you put this thing in an enclosure and check out the drive, you MIGHT save yourself a trip to the Apple Store.

I have my 500gb HDD in a enclosure and the SSD as my hard drive... This is extremely bizarre because I can use the SSD as the hard drive I just can't reboot the machine or else it will display the error.

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
I have my 500gb HDD in a enclosure and the SSD as my hard drive... This is extremely bizarre because I can use the SSD as the hard drive I just can't reboot the machine or else it will display the error.

I suggest you put your known good, bootable, trouble free, original drive back into the lappy, and place the SSD into a compatible enclosure. Then clone the original to the SSD. Then swap the SSD back into the laptop and give it another try (without any external drives attached while booting).

kslingo

macrumors member
Original poster
May 16, 2007
I suggest you put your known good, bootable, trouble free, original drive back into the lappy, and place the SSD into a compatible enclosure. Then clone the original to the SSD. Then swap the SSD back into the laptop and give it another try (without any external drives attached while booting).

Okay I tried this and its doing the same thing with the sign :( I guess its off to the apple store I go... At least I can use it and not try to reboot for now...

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Starting to sound like a compatibility issue. Let us know what the final solution is. I'm not too sure Apple will do anything with the third party SSD. I'm guessing they will try with an Apple part and tell you to buy one.

kslingo

macrumors member
Original poster
May 16, 2007
Another question I have is could it be that the system doesn't like the sata 3 drive because it is only compatible with sata 2?

deviant

macrumors 65816
Oct 27, 2007
Another question I have is could it be that the system doesn't like the sata 3 drive because it is only compatible with sata 2?

Nope, sata 1-2-3 are all compatibile. ive never heard of a PNY ssd. Buy a micron/crucial/Samsung drive. The new micron mx100 is the cheapest. I have a Samsung 840 in my 2007 iMac so it's not the Sata for sure

kslingo

macrumors member
Original poster
May 16, 2007
I understand , but if you can return it then do so and buy one from those I listed.

But could it be the SATA Cable is going bad? I don't want to buy a new drive and have the same problem..... Does anyone know how to test?

cjmillsnun

macrumors 68020
Aug 28, 2009
But could it be the SATA Cable is going bad? I don't want to buy a new drive and have the same problem..... Does anyone know how to test?

The SATA cable is just fine. If it was going bad, your original Hard Drive would not work either.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.