Help With SSD & HD Set Up

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Helinlouise, Mar 16, 2013.

1. Helinlouise macrumors newbie

Hi,

Could people please help me with my MacBook Pro set up?

I have taken out the optical drive in my MBP and put in a new SSD drive. I've now got:

The original hard drive with operating system on and all of my data
    The new SSD drive with just the operating system on
    The MBP boots up to the SSD Drive

What I wanted to do was use the MBP to boot up to the SSD so the operating system boots up fast and then save everything I do to the original drive. So for example all my photos, spreadsheets, documents etc. are saved to the original drive.

I've just gone into the Apple shop and asked how to do this and the girl on the Genius Bar said that as I now have an SSD drive in my MBP, which Apple dont support, she won't help me? However, after much pushing by me she told me that I have 2 operating systems on (one on the SSD and one on the original hard drive) and what I need to do is the following:

Back up my data from the original drive
    Wipe the operating system from the original drive
    Put the data back on the original drive
    On the SSD drive point all my applications such as Iphoto to save everything to the original drive

She says this keeps the operating system on one drive and the data on the other as at the minute I have 2 operating systems on which is not good.

My question is, is this the best way to go about things? Can I not just keep the operating systems on both drives and point the applications to my original drive without having to delete the operating system on the original drive or is this daft?! I didn't really get much confidence in the girl hence my questions.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Helen

2. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

There are countless of ways how to set this up.
    Since you don't seem to need Windows and bootcamp fixing up a fusion drive setup might make you the happiest.

You can keep the operating system on both drives it just doesn't make a terrible lot of sense. If you want a backup it is better to just cut of a small partition and use carbon copy cloner to keep a bootable copy of the bare necessities.
    Pointing around all you want is fine but tedious and not optimal if the SSD isn't too small.
    In theory you should keep as much data as possible on the SSD so the HDD can sleep and doesn't slow anything down. Redirect movies and music first and the rest if it has to.
    With Fusion you don't have to do anything but it has its own faults. Making bootcamp more difficult and increasing failure probability.

3. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

Go to Mountain Lion recovery mode and install the OS to the SSD.
    Its called Fresh Install and I highly recommend it compared to CCC.

After you install the OS, just manually install the Apps and what ever needed files on to the SSD.

Then just use the HDD as a data storage.

Tbh, going to a Apple Store was the stupidest idea.
    Optibay mod is unofficial and is one of the way to void your warranty and be black listed.