Help with SSD HD...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dilgit, Apr 27, 2011.

1. dilgit macrumors regular

I intend to buy the ‏Intel 250GB SSD 510 Series Sata III 2.5'' drive, for my Macbook pro 13" 2011, and install it instead of my current 750GB HD.
    After installation I intend to re install clean OS X 10.6.7 and than Parallels 6 and Windows 7 Pro 64Bit. For Windows 7, I intend to allocate 50GB out of the 250GB.
    Is this a straight forward procedure?
    Will everything work flawlessly for me?
    What precautions do I have to take?
    Any tips before I go ahead?
    Also, what are my optios with the 750GB HD that comes out of my MBP?

2. kdoug macrumors 6502a

kdoug

The hardest part is getting the correct screwdriver that fits the 10 screws on the bottom. It needs to be a 00 Phillip's and no, they aren't all the same size.
    Wiha is about the only one that fits snug and doesn't damage the heads.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000NZ5QGK
    Order this Macally Firewire 800 enclosure for your HD, only $42.
    http://www.amazon.com/Macally-Hi-Sp...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1303941016&sr=8-1

3. snaky69 macrumors 603

You don't need to allocate any amount of space to a virtual machine with Parallels, it will only use as much as it needs, no more, no less.

Now, if you use bootcamp, then use your bootcamp partition to use Parallels, that's a completely different story.

As far as straightforwardness, if you know how to use a screwdriver without stabbing yourself with it, and how to read instructions on a screen while re-installing OS X, I say you're good to go. It really isn't hard.

Precautions: A backup is always a good idea, should anything go wrong.

4. dilgit thread starter macrumors regular

Now I read that there are a lot of issues/problems/hangups with SSD sata 3 on the new 2011 macbook pro like mine. I now check whether to go on a stat 2 device? Have you heard about those issues? What can be done about it? Some say, replace the sata cable inside the MBP?

5. snaky69 macrumors 603

You should read a bit further, I believe the problem is mostly on the 17 inchers. Something about two non-shielded cables being close together and interfering.