Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fra00

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 20, 2020
Hi everyone,

I have a macbook pro 2016, 13inch, model a1708

Basically after the update Catalina 15.6, I think, the ssd stopped working and the OS does not recognize it.

When i turn the mac on, It appears a folder icon with a blinking question mark.

Do i need to replace the ssd?

If so, would you reccomend to buy one from ebay from an old mac (but they are used and the "cheap" one are 128gb while the original ssd is 256)

or buy an nvme with the adapter like this?

if this works, which nvme should I buy? are the sabrent ones good?

also: do I need an usb bootable with macos? If yes, how can i make it if I can't access to Mac Store and download the os?

thank you.

Fra00

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 20, 2020
Have you tried using internet recovery to reload the OS?

I believe your MacBook needs a smaller NVMe drive. The one you linked is a m.2 2280.

Yes, but it does not show me the ssd when I reload the Os

photo_2020-09-20_19-11-43.jpg

anyway, how about this?

if I download the os from apple website and reinstall it with a usb, will it be possible? which one would you reccomend between mojave, catalina or high sierra?

otherwise I can buy a used ssd from ebay but it's about 200eur for a 256gb or 100eur for a 128gb. If i install a 128, will the price drop? I have to sell it after.

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Is it possible that the drive needs to be re-seated?

Did you try booting MacOS from an external drive?

If neither of these work, I would get the adapter and standard NVMe drive.

Fra00

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 20, 2020
how to re-seat the drive?

I am going to try now with a bootable usb.

do you think it's better with nvme and adapter or direclty with an used original ssd? the only problem is that the original ssd from ebay is 128gb, so if I sell it, how much should I reduce the price?

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Remove the bottom cover, disconnect the battery, remove and inspectthe drive, inspect the drive, reinstall, try a normal but to see if the drive is detected.

You will get better value if you get a nvme drive and adapter instead of an smaller OEM Apple drive.

Fra00

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 20, 2020
Remove the bottom cover, disconnect the battery, remove and inspectthe drive, inspect the drive, reinstall, try a normal but to see if the drive is detected.

You will get better value if you get a nvme drive and adapter instead of an smaller OEM Apple drive.

what do you think would be the price difference between a 128gb and a 256 one if I sell the macbook? I have a macbook pro 13, 2016, 8gb ram and display changed in april.

Since I would spend 50eur more for adapter + nvme, is it worth if I have to sell it?

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP wrote in reply 5 above:
"yes i tried but I can't find the ssd"

Look at that image in #5 again.
See the "view" popup at the upper left?
What happens if you go to it and choose "show all devices"
?????

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.