Help with ssd -> optical drive considerations

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mullenc525, May 1, 2012.

1. mullenc525 macrumors newbie

Jan 2, 2010

I have done some research but need some guidance as to what would work best for me.

I have a mid 2010 15" i5. I use boot camp with macosx primarily to play and windows 7 to work. I'd like to start using the laptop for work more instead of my 3.0 ghz q6600, 8800 gts desktop.

First, I need more storage, so I am going to install a 2nd drive in the optical bay. 2nd, since the performance of the laptop is less than my desktop, I am considering options to make it run faster.

My initial thought was to use one drive for mac and a 2nd (possibly SSD) for windows. I don't need massive storage capacity, 2x 250gb is fine, and I backup files / place media on an external drive.

I've heard of people running a pair of drives in RAID though. How would this compare in speed to the SSD? I see I can get a 250gb SSD for $120 more than a HDD.

Currently my OEM HDD is partitioned, and I am assuming I can clone that without any difficulties onto whatever storage setup I choose.

I see people are mostly happy with the ebay hdd caddies. I will use one of those, and am comfortable making any required minor adjustments myself.

Thanks for any insights!
  2. ayeying macrumors 601

Dec 5, 2007
    Yay Area, CA
    You can't use RAID under bootcamp. You can't access a RAID HFS+ under bootcamp either. It will cause BSOD and such, unless they fixed it under BootCamp 4.1.

You could do like - 1 Drive for OSX and 1 Drive for Windows. That works and still have the ability to access files using stock BootCamp drivers.