Help with ssd

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by JavaWizKid, Apr 25, 2009.

1. JavaWizKid macrumors 6502a

Does it make a difference if a ssd I buy is samsung or another brand? Is samsung a lot better and where is the cheapest place where I can buy one? I live in the UK.

2. magamo macrumors 6502

If you choose a decent SSD, it doesn't seem to matter much when it comes to your day-to-day tasks. They're all way faster than conventional laptop hard drives.

For your Mac, Intel's X25-E is the fastest as of today. X25-M is a close second and has a larger capacity (80GB or 160GB). SSD that come with the Indelinx controller such as OCZ's Vertex are also good and less expensive but not as fast as Intel's. Samsung's SSD are not one of the fastest, but I heard a lot of good reviews about them. If you MRoogle, you can find a lot of threads about X25, Vertex, and other SSD such as Smasung's on this forum.

You might be interested in cheaper SSD that look good on paper, but be warned. Often manufacturers only list sequential (or sustained) read/write speed. In real life, what really matters is IOPS and random read/write speed. Most of cheap SSD preform badly in this regard, though Leopard isn't as vulnerable to this problem as Windows.

I'm sorry I couldn't help you find cheaper places. I hope other members of this forum can help you more on this.