help with startup volume repair

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by chrismoore, Jul 9, 2010.

1. chrismoore macrumors newbie

Yesterday, my MacPro running the latest build of snow leopard froze and I had to force a reboot. After the reboot everything started acting up so I ran a permission repair but that didn't solve the problem. I then ran Onyx which told me there was a problem with the startup volume and it had to be repaired. I have both my Snow Leopard install disc and also a bootable backup on an external hard drive. I tried rebooting from the bootable backup and whileI was able to select it by holding the option key, it wouldn't boot. I then tried to boot from the install disc while holding the c key, and the computer would either go into a cycle of trying to boot and then restarting itself, or gives me the error message that "the computer has to be shut down by holding the power key." I then tried to boot in safe mode by holding the shift key and the same thing happened it wouldn't boot. Note that I am able to restart into my regular user mode, but the system is clearly malfunctioning and needs to be repaired. Any ideas how I can repair the startup volume?

2. chrismoore thread starter macrumors newbie