Help with "storage"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by weesignlanguage, Jul 19, 2014.

1. weesignlanguage macrumors newbie

Hi guys! I am a newbie. I have a Macbook Pro. I had a TON of movies that I have on my laptop b/c I post videos to Youtube. I just backed my computer up with an external hard drive. I then went and deleted all my movies under "movies" under my user. I also check iMovie and cleaned it out. I shut my computer down and restarted it. When I go to "about this Mac" and check the storage amount, it still says I have 300plus GB of movies on my storage. I don't get it. What am I doing wrong?? I want my storage cleaned up. Help! Thanks so much!

2. simsaladimbamba

3. weesignlanguage thread starter macrumors newbie

Yep...numerous times. Am I missing a place these movies might be hiding other than "movies" on my username and iMovie??

4. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Is your external hard drive (the backup) still connected to your MBPro?

5. weesignlanguage thread starter macrumors newbie

Nope...I ejected it before I restarted the computer. Lol

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Download and use OmniDiskSweeper. It will provide a sorted list of what's consuming your space.

Another option which is more comprehensive is to use this terminal command
    sudo du -d 1 -x -c -g /

I prefer to redirect it to a text file (this puts it in your Documents folder
    sudo du -d 1 -x -c -g / > ~/Documents/du.txt

7. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

That About this Mac screen gets its data from the Spotlight index, and if the index is corrupted the numbers will be off. Run the command below in Terminal and wait for Spotlight to reindex then check the screen again and you reading should be correct.

There will still be a small amount shown there for movies even though you are not storing any movies because the OS itself includes some video files that get counted there.

Code:
    sudo mdutil -E /