help with Streamclip??

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by AeroBar, Feb 3, 2010.

1. AeroBar macrumors 6502a

Hi,

I'm using Mpeg Streamclip to copy a DVD onto my hard drive for editing in iMovie.

Will the best video quality be achieved by saving it as a DV file?
    Should I choose deinterlacing or interlacing?

Cheers

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

A .mov with the DV codec or the .dv container (with the DV codec obviously) will be okay with iMovie.

No de-interlacing though, as the source is interlaced, and iMovie will handle it as such.

PS: Something I copied from my list of FAQs:

In order for you to edit your videos stored on the video DVD, you need to rip it via MacTheRipper / RipIt / Fairmount, if the video DVD is copy protected (all commercial video DVDs are).
    If it is not copy protected, you might be just able to copy the Video_TS folder onto your HDD.

Now there are two ways to convert the MPEG-2 compressed footage.

1. Get Handbrake and convert the footage to either an .avi file with the Xvid codec (2-pass or Constant Quality of 100% and highest bitrate for video and audio) or an .mp4/.m4v file with the H264 codec (the same as with Xvid).
    Then use MPEG Streamclip to convert/export the .avi or .mp4/.m4v file to a QuickTime (.mov - CMD+E) file encoded with the DV codec or to a DV file (CMD+OPTION/ALT+E).
    Both, .mov and .dv, can be read by iMovie.

2. Get the QuickTime MPEG-2 Playback Component from the Apple Online Store for 20USD, open MPEG Streamclip, in there go to File > Open DVD and select your Video_TS folder on your HDD.
    Then either export it as QuickTime with the DV codec or as DV file as explained in step 1.
    This saves you one encoding process, therefore time and image quality loss.

Have fun.

Screenshots:

MPEG Streamclip export options
    [​IMG]

Handbrake export as .mp4 - example
    [​IMG]

3. AeroBar thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thank you.