iPad Help with "stuck" Updates in the App Store (iOS 8.02 on Air)

Discussion in 'iPad' started by JulesK, Oct 3, 2014.

1. JulesK macrumors 6502

I'm hoping someone can help me with this issue:

My iPad Air (iOS 8.02) froze when updating 7 apps over WiFi, so I just plugged it into my MBA/iTunes, and that apps synced fine. Now the problem I have is that the AppStore icon on the Air keeps showing that 7 apps need to be updated. When you go to update screen in the AppStore app, all seven have the "OPEN" box, and pressing any of them will open the app. But the little red notification icon keeps showing that 7 apps need updating.

I've tried turning the iPad on/off, and also resyncing with iTunes, but has solved the issue.

I guess I can wait to see what happens when additional apps need updating, but if there's a fix out there for this, I'd love to hear it.

Many thanks in advance.

2. Solver macrumors 6502a

On your iPad, have you tried logging off iTunes (in settings/iTunes and App Store) then logging back in?

3. JulesK thread starter macrumors 6502

Many thanks for the suggestion. I just tried that, and it didn't resolve the issue. Maybe when another app needs updating the notification for the already-updated apps will clear.

4. kevink2 macrumors 65816

5. JulesK thread starter macrumors 6502

Many thanks. That was the first thing I tried. I guess I'll try resetting next.

6. JulesK thread starter macrumors 6502

The solution: Delete and Re-Install Apps

If this happens to anyone else, the only thing that worked was deleting and re-installing the apps, which worked. None of the affected apps were critical, so it wasn't an issue.

7. littlebutty macrumors newbie

Happening to me too

I have the same hardware and iOS version and experincing the same thing for weeks now. The number of updates continues to grow but trying the items listed in this thread did not work for me. I have not tried deleting and re-installing 20+ apps yet however.

8. JulesK thread starter macrumors 6502

OP here: It may have something to do with one of the apps. I noticed, when looking what was new on either the NYT or WSJ apps (cannot remember which one, unfortunately), it had a statement that there was a bug that was preventing updates to the app (as opposed to the news). I have not idea whether its related or not, but I thought I'd mention that. Also, for some reason, the computer isn't getting the message that the Apple Store app is now current. You press it, and it says there's a new app (which I've already installed), and to press a button to take you to the new app. I thought that was very odd. It was the last app I had updated when the initial problem occurred.

9. littlebutty macrumors newbie

News or Social

So I started deleting and re-installing apps since nothing else was working. I started with the news ones from the reply above, but it didn't fix it immediately anyway but may have been part of the problem. I then went on to social apps. So chances are it was one of these causing the issue:

• Washington Post
    • Wall Street Journal
    • Facebook
    • Twitter

Once all of those were removed the rest of the app updates started working fine.

10. JulesK thread starter macrumors 6502

I don't use Twitter, so I blame Facebook.