Help with switching iphones

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dmac1050, Dec 23, 2010.

1. dmac1050 macrumors newbie

I am going to have my iPhone 3gs repaired and they are going to need it for a week (the home button does not work since dropping it in the water).

Here is my question. A coworker lent me his older original iPhone to use while mine is being repaired. How do I get his iphone to work for the week and then go back to my 3gs when it is back from repair?

Thanks in advance for the replies

2. Small White Car, Dec 23, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2010

Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

First off, it's possible your data will still be on your phone when you get it back, but be prepared in case it gets wiped. Backup your phone in iTunes and import any purchases and photos to your computer now. (Do all this by right-clicking the tiny iPhone icon on the left side of iTunes. Import photos the same way you would from any other digital camera...whatever software you use.)

Then, take your SIM card from your phone and put it in his phone.

That will make it work as a phone and web browser. If you want your apps and music and other stuff you'll have to sync his phone with your computer and authorize it on your iTunes account and copy everything over.

When you get your phone back, put the SIM card back in. If the data is still there, great. If it got wiped then plug it into your computer and restore from the backup in iTunes.