Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

howard

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 18, 2002
I like backing up my home folder to my external harddrive often, and now when i do it i just drag it right over onto the other drive, then it takes 30 mins to copy all my data over, and recopy. i'm wondering what are my options for syncing the home folder to the external so that whenever i plug it in it makes sure that the two folders are the same.

who has experience with this? what programs are good? any tips or suggestions?

thanks

munkle

macrumors 68030
Aug 7, 2004
On a jet plane
This might be a bit more than what you're looking for if you just want to sync your home directory but I love SuperDuper. You can make a bootable clone of your hard drive and and there is an option to sync as well. It just gives me greater peace of mine to have a 'full' backup in case anything goes wrong. It does take quite awhile to make the first clone though but it's all plain sailing after that.

Otherwise I think there are plenty of sync apps available, Backup comes with .mac and Deja Vu comes with Toast for example, do a search on macupdate or version tracker.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.