Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

YouGoGlenCocoa

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 18, 2013
i've been thinking for a few weeks about leaving at&t for tmobile only because i heard about how cheap it was and how much their service has improved. But when comparing the two i just dont see how tmobile is cheaper? Am i over looking something?

My wife and i share 15gb of data for $100 a month on at&t (phone lease prices and all other aside)

Is there a better deal im over looking with tmobile or is it just cheaper for larger families?

alejovh101

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2015
4 lines at T-Mobile were 120 a month with 10 gig each. Today they announced different pricing. Check their website for new pricing and deals.

Dtrip

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2014
The 4/120 pricing is still going on through Sunday apparently. It's actually $100 for the first 2 lines, $20 for the 3rd and the 4th line is free. Each additional line will be $20 after that. Each line will get 10GB each, but TMo doesn't count music streaming (and soon compressed video streaming) against your data allotment. They also don't charge overages in case you go over the 10GB, and throttle you instead. That's after you use the "Data Stash" you've carried over from previous months and the 10GB they start you with. It appears that this current promo is still a little better than the new pricing they just announced, but a little more research will help you decide. Also, make sure you are in a well covered T-Mobile area, and if your area has their "extended range LTE", or Band 12 coverage, make sure you get a band 12 compatible device.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
With ATT it important to distinguish you get 15 GB for $100 plus $15 per line (plus your leases but we won't discuss that part too much).

You could get four lines with 10gb each for less than you're paying with ATT (assuming you don't have some sort of discount). We have three lines but use the sin of the fourth in a mobile hotspot in the car for road trips (may as well use ALL the data we pay for, right?)

Leases on devices are also cheaper than att anywhere from $5-25+ per month depending on trade in and when you join the promo. This may or may not be applicable for you as I have no idea how you buy and how often you upgrade your devices. They've also got a program now where you can upgrade up to three times a calendar year for $0 down and no additional payments (slate is wiped clean) so long as it's a completely different device (i.e. Can't jump from a black 6s to a silver 6s).

Lastly, consider that music streaming doesn't cost against your cap and, starting in the 15th, neither will streaming video in just about any major apps outside of YouTube (they've steadily added services to music freedom so I imagine video service, maybe even YouTube, will follow).

You're not wrong in that, for two, you're savings aren't astronomical. In fact, if you have a discount on ATT, they may not be a savings at all for just two lines. If all you want is two lines that would be $100 TMO (versus $130 no discounts applied ATT), 10 GB per line TMO versus 15gb shared ATT, 12 month rollover tmo versus 1 month rollover ATT, and of course the music and soon to be video streaming that I mentioned above.

TMO certainly isn't for everyone. If you routinely travel outside of larger metro areas you're likely to get no data, or worse, no service. I still see LTE drop down to 4g on occasion, but I've yet to see no service except when out in the middle of nowhere (where ATT also showed no service). The good news is you can test the network on any phone they carry free of charge for a full month. If you're not happy you can simply hand back the handsets and you're on your way. You can even keep your installment plan going through T-Mobile if you wanted to keep the device and move it to another carrier (ink ear if your first month's bill will then be due, and it may only be limited to the 6s series of phones). The only caveat is it requires a credit check to get started.

Last edited:

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
i've been thinking for a few weeks about leaving at&t for tmobile only because i heard about how cheap it was and how much their service has improved. But when comparing the two i just dont see how tmobile is cheaper? Am i over looking something?

My wife and i share 15gb of data for $100 a month on at&t (phone lease prices and all other aside)

Is there a better deal im over looking with tmobile or is it just cheaper for larger families?

Do not believe T-Mo's coverage map either. Make sure it works where you will be using it and if not return before the time is up. I had to go outside to make and receive calls and was shown in an "EXCELLENT" coverage area. I have been on AT&T from back in the Cingular days and am not leaving.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Do not believe T-Mo's coverage map either. Make sure it works where you will be using it and if not return before the time is up. I had to go outside to make and receive calls and was shown in an "EXCELLENT" coverage area. I have been on AT&T from back in the Cingular days and am not leaving.
This is always good advice. TMO is also constantly upgrading towers. Two years ago I tried them and they were unusable. We have them now after trying them again and it's fine. Att still takes the cake in overall reception in New Engkand (personal experience nothing official), but not nearly $1000 a year worth of cake lol.

mellofello

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2011
Att has really started sucking in my area lately. Show good reception but their towers are super over subscribed it seems. Watching video is now out of the question.

Going down to the store today and porting. If I could only turn back the clock and order my 6s on contract, I would have saved $400.

Wish me luck.

bpeeps

Suspended
May 6, 2011
I had considered switching to T-Mobile for a while to save, but I was wary of the service. However with everything ATT has down now, extending throttling cap, letting users revert to older non-existant plans, upgrading minutes to unlimited, etc, there's no reason to take the chance on crap service.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.