Help with tab bar and navigation controller.

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by iohan, Oct 10, 2011.

1. iohan, Oct 10, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 11, 2011

iohan macrumors newbie

Hi,
    my first post in here.

This will be a little tricky to describe so i have attached an image so you can get an understanding of what i whould like to do.

I would like to have a tab bar on the first screen.
    When a button is pushed in a tab bar view a new view will open but i don't want the tab bar to move along. On this new view i would only like to use a navigation controller. Is this possible?

How in earth am i pulling this of?
    I have been working with PHP for 6 years but i find the architecture of Objective-C a pain in the a**. =)

Can someone give me som advice?

Thanks

//J

Oops, forgot to attach the image.

Attached Files:

2. jiminaus macrumors 65816

jiminaus

What resource(s) are you using to learn iOS programming? If you've not learnt the philosophy and design principles behind Cocoa Touch, then sure you going to find it a pain in the a**, because you don't understand it.

You'll want to look at UINavigationController.

3. sundialsoft macrumors newbie

sundialsoft

How to wire up your app

I suggest you start with a navigation bar based app, hide the nav bar on the first screen and create your own tool bar with your own buttons on the main screen or use a uitoolbar instead of a tab bar. Only issue using a toolbar is that you only get the semi-transparent white/grey images & small text not full color.
    If you want to simulate a tab bar just use icons that have a blue highlight when pressed.
    The nav bar needs to be shown as you bring up the other screens & hidden when you go back in the 'viewwillappear' function of the main viewcontroller.
    Code:
        self.navigationController.navigationBarHidden=TRUE;