Help With Taking Mac To US To UK

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by cgallagher93, Jan 31, 2010.

  1. cgallagher93 macrumors newbie

    Jan 31, 2010
    Hi guys,

    I've just last week bought the new iMac from the US and it is currently on its way to me.

    Please do forgive me as I know this question has probably been asked several thousand times, but I'm in a dilemma as to what to do with regards to the power cable etc.

    Can I get a cheap adapter off Amazon or from Maplin to plug my american power cable into (240V) or should I just use an ordinary power lead that I source from the UK?

    I'll be using it everyday, so it needs to be safe for long periods of time and very efficient. The problem with buying a power lead is that they're not currently manufactured by Apple for the new iMac here in the UK. That means I'm left with a choice of ugly thick black leads which will just ruin the appearance of it. Any help is much appreciated.

    Thanks in advance,

    Connor :)
  2. -Ryan- macrumors 68000

    Jan 28, 2009
    This is the type of thing that Apple are usually quite generous about. If you go to the Apple Store and explain your problem to them, or on the phone if you don't have an Apple Store nearby, there's quite a high chance they'll just give you one. Similar to how they'll replace individual chiclet keys on keyboards. Those cables cost next to nothing anyway. It's not as if it's a full on power adapter. Try your luck. :)
  3. cgallagher93 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Jan 31, 2010
    Hi Ryan,

    What do you mean?

    I understand there's a lead from the back of the iMac to a power box, and then a seperate lead from the power box that connects to the plug socket. Do you mean to phone Apple to ask for the half of the cable that connects to the socket, as I'm not quite sure what you mean here.

    Connor :apple:
  4. HellDiverUK macrumors 6502

    Oct 24, 2009
    Belfast, UK
    Got to Tesco and buy a US to UK plug adaptor. They're less than 50p.

    I have a few of them here, one's on my camera battery charger, one does my shaver, and one does a monitor.

    You really are over-complicating the issue worrying about getting leads etc.
  5. cgallagher93 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Jan 31, 2010
    That's what I thought you could do anyway...

    But when I had a dig around online and found a ton of people saying that their mac had blown up after trying it, I wanted to make sure it was perfectly safe before risking a £1000 machine.

    I think I'll just give it a shot and see what happens. I'm sure if I get an electric shock or the thing is blown up by the end of it, it was all meant to be haha ;)


  6. Chappers macrumors 68020


    Aug 12, 2003
    At home
    Sorry I don't know the answer to your problem but if all else fails - contact Apple.

    Thats just in case no one here answers your question
  7. TheCoupe macrumors member

    Mar 4, 2009
    Northern Ireland
    Easy to solve :)

    Why not just cut the plug off it and fit a uk plug to the cable?
    That's what I did with my Mac Pro, and with pretty much all my cables when I wanted to shorten them so I didn't have long cables lying on the floor when I only needed them to be short... ie, for my printers, apple tv, mac mini's, speakers etc. You should never coil your power cables up and tie wrap them as they can create a fire hazard.

    Your only main difference with the US cables, is that they may not have an earth cable, so if you are really concious... plug them into a surge protector.
  8. cgallagher93 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Jan 31, 2010
    Plug adapter details?

    Hey guys,

    Ok so the iMac comes tomorrow and I just wanted to make double sure. I have a US/EU to UK plug adapter that I bought from Argos for about £6.99 and it's by Masterplug.

    The iMac spec is something like 110V-240V according to their website and it says on the plug...

    13A 250V~

    I have a feeling this is too much as it says on the iMac 240V max. Do I have to buy another one then or what. I really don't know what to do but don't want to risk plugging it in and killing the machine as some guy on here did that about a year ago.

    Factual answers please as this is serious - no guesswork. Thanks so much for your help in advance. Your time is much appreciated...

    Connor :)
  9. iAlexG macrumors 6502a

    Jun 15, 2009
    OK well from my experience with my MacBook Pro just getting an adapter from Tesco's is fine. I live in the US and have a US mac and when i go back to the UK to see family i just stick an adaptor on the 2 prong US plug and everything charges fine.
  10. Wheaty macrumors regular


    Mar 6, 2009
    Cheshire, UK
    110-240V AC is the key, so It will work in the UK once you can plug it in physically.

    As others have suggested you can...

    1) by a US to UK adapter for a couple of ££
    2) Replace the whole lead from the white box (Switch Mode Power Supply) to the wall by smiling nicely at apple to get a nice white one.
    3)Chop the US plug of and fit a new UK one for a pound or two. (If your not happy with this then DONT!)

    As a side note you should make sure that there is no more than a 3Amp fuse fitted to any of the adapter plugs/ new plugs etc to help protect your new mini/house in case of a internal fault.

    And Just to be geeky... The UK has a harmonised voltage with the rest of Europe, which means that officially we are 230V here and 220V in the rest of Europe, however with the tolerances allowed you could be getting 210ish to 250ish Volts.

    Hope this Clarifies things.



Share This Page