Help with Terminal?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by stevep, Jan 16, 2008.

1. stevep macrumors 6502a

stevep

I'm being completely useless here - I have recorded a DVD on a Samsung recorder. When I stick the disc into the MBP it appears on the desktop as a locked folder, with a little red 'no-entry' sign. I know it has the video_ts files inside - I can't change the permissions by rt-clicking...Get info... even after I put in the admin password, so I'm assuming I would have to do it in Terminal. But, I'm having real problems with the syntax and all the arguements.
    The path to the folder is Macintosh HD, Users, srp, Desktop, DVD Recorder and I need to change the permissions so anyone can have read and write access to the folder and all the sub-folders and files that are inside.
    Can some kind person please let me know what the correct syntax is to perform this so I can get to the video_ts files?

2. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

You'll have to copy the files to your computer to change the permissions I believe. A DVD is read only.

3. stevep thread starter macrumors 6502a

stevep

Yep done that. It's the copied folder that I'm trying to unlock - sorry I didn't make it clear.

4. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Oh. Umm well have you tried accessing it from the Super user (sudo)? Can't say I have a whole lot of ideas on this one.

5. stevep thread starter macrumors 6502a

stevep

Yes, that's what I am thinking I need to do, using Terminal, but I need to change the permissions, which is why I need some help with the syntax.

6. tyr2 macrumors 6502a

tyr2

Something like this should work

'sudo chmod 777 ~/Movies/thefoldername'

But with the correct path to where you have the folder. The ~ means 'your home directory'.

It'll ask you for your password to confirm.

7. stevep thread starter macrumors 6502a

stevep

Excellent - thanks a lot tyr2, I've just opened it up thanks to your help.