Help with tethering/hotspot

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by PostHate, Sep 14, 2012.

  1. PostHate macrumors member

    Joined:
    Sep 14, 2012
    #1
    I currently have an iPhone 4S with AT&T service. I have the $15/month 200MB data package. I usually only use about 60-80MB/month so that is fine.

    I would like to get an iPad (or iPad Mini possibly). 95% of the time that I use it I will be in a WiFi. The other 5% of the time I might be on the road or in a customer's house and need to send/receive an e-mail, check a webpage, or something else small like that.

    Since I already have the wireless capability on my phone, and I always have my phone on me, I would like to save the $129 initial cost plus data plan cost for the iPad.

    AT&T's website says that I can upgrade my current iPhone plan to a tether plan for not too much more money. But someone here said that tethering is using a cable, I would rather it be wireless. On the other hand, I've read people saying that you can now connect without upgrading your plan. So I am very confused and would like some clarification from people who know about this.

    Thank you, I appreciate it.
     
  2. Jnyce macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 14, 2010
    #2
    i pretty sure you need to get the shared data plan in order to make a mobile hotspot with your phone.


    or go here and read up

    http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/da...chTerm=att+mobile+share#fbid=ZmiionSqnO1?tab2
     
  3. PostHate thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Sep 14, 2012
    #3
    Ya see, that confuses me as well. Would I definitely need the share plan if I am the only person on my plan and my iPhone is the only cellular device that i am using? The iPad would be tethered to the iPhone, not be on the AT&T network itself.

    Even the AT&T site isn't confirming anything.
     
  4. PhoenixMac macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Mar 7, 2010
    #4
    Since your needs are that small is it really worth it to get a tethering plan when you can do that on your phone?
     
  5. scaredpoet macrumors 604

    scaredpoet

    Joined:
    Apr 6, 2007
    #5
    Via cable is only one way to tether. Your phone will also act as a WiFi hotspot to connect up to three additional devices simultaneously.

    You can also connect and share your internet connection via bluetooth.

    If you jailbreak your phone it's possible. However AT&T is known for checking for that sort of thing.

    To do it legit, you need a plan that explicitly supports Personal Hotspot.
     
  6. PostHate thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Sep 14, 2012
    #6
    Thanks for the reply! So tethering isn't only connecting with a wire? Good to know.

    I assume setting up a hot spot would be faster and better than Bluetooth?
     

Share This Page