Help with TextWrangler

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Salvacion, Jun 8, 2009.

1. Salvacion macrumors member

Hey,

First, I hope this is in the right section and if not I apologize. Here's my situation:

I have a list of names that I want to crosscheck with a bigger list of names that also contains addresses. I'm using textwrangler for the big database and I know that you can do a pretty extensive search, but I don't want to have to open the find window and type every name manual so, I want to know if there is a way that I can automate searching for the names across two different files. If anyone has a link to a tutorial explaining how to do this or something similar I would greatly appreciate it as this would save me about half a week of menial work.

Thanks in advance

2. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

So file A contains single rows with names. File B contains single rows with names and addressed on the same line? And you want to get the full line from file B that matches the names in file A?

3. Salvacion thread starter macrumors member

both files contain names and addresses on a single line, however, one contains older addresses. I want to check the names in file A against the records in file B and see if the addresses match or if there is a more up to date address in file B. Also, file A is comma separated.

4. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

One thing that might make this really easy is the app FileMerge, which highlights differences between two different files. This would only work if the addresses in the two files are in the same order (although pre-sorting the files with TextWrangler might help). I believe you need the developer tools installed to have this app though, which you can do for free: developer.apple.com. You can also use the command-line "diff" (not sure if that's installed with the dev tools or comes with the OS). You can also use Text-Wrangler search/replace to normalize the formats first (comma-separated, etc.).

5. Salvacion thread starter macrumors member

I'm downloading Xcode now I just hope there aren't too many differences between the two files. Thanks for the tip

update :Apparently the files are too big for FileMerge, every time I try to compare both of them the application stops responding. Is there another application or method that could solve the problem? I really don't want to type 2K+ names one at a time

6. Salvacion thread starter macrumors member

Actually, I was just given the original excel file for the shorter file, which means I can export a csv file with only the names.

7. David Sudweeks macrumors newbie

TextWrangler keyboard shortcut that opens Opera browser

Quick question: I once by accident performed some keyboard shortcut in TextWrangler that launched what I was working on in an Opera browser window. (I did not know that I had installed Opera / tried unsuccessfully to locate Opera in the Applications folder.) So my question is secondarily 'Does TextWrangler install Opera?' and primarily 'How do I do it again?' I forgot whatever keyboard shortcut got me there.

It's version 3.1 (2640) of Tue, 19 Jan 2010
    standard install, no add-ons.

Answers I'm not looking for: How to install Opera.

8. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

No it does not. Opera is installed by some Adobe applications though and is often the culprit.

Here's a page for creating a script to open the page in a browser. I don't know of a feature built-in TextWrangler for doing it, but BBEdit (it's big brother) does have it. Maybe something else caused the file to open up rather than it being TextWrangler.