Help with the correct SSD to buy

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Cdumitru78, Feb 25, 2016.

1. Cdumitru78 macrumors member

I have a Macbook pro 9.2 and looking to get a sandisk ultra II SSD, 480Gb. Does anyone know the exact part number that will match my laptop, I can get a good deal on one from BestBuy but gotta figure out correct part number.

Thank you in advance.

2. hwojtek macrumors 6502a

hwojtek

Anything that has "SATA SSD" written on it and is less than 9.5 mm thick.

3. matverna macrumors newbie

matverna

I would caution you against falling into the same trap that I did. I got a crucial, and found that the only path to updating its firmware was through a BUILT-IN CD-ROM drive. This works out fine for my 2010 MBP, but it will not work for my Mac Mini when its turn comes. I would advise you, if your machine does not have a built-in CD/DVD drive, to check the manufacturer's website of any drive you are considering, and examine what the firmware update procedure is for the drive you are considering. I know that the OWC drives are the only ones that I found that allow firmware updates via USB jump drives.

I hope this info helps inform your decision...

4. Cdumitru78 thread starter macrumors member

good advice, I had no idea. Luckily, I am trying to upgrade the Macbook pro non retina with the good ol' CD drive built in.

5. phrehdd macrumors 68040

phrehdd

Glad Apple was so "visionary" to remove the disc drive (sigh...sarcastic here) ... I fully feel your frustration as I have had to do work arounds for other similar situations.

6. richwoodrocket macrumors 68020

richwoodrocket

I've never had to even think about updating the firmware on a drive... My Kingston V300 240GB SSD worked perfectly right out of the package.

7. macs4nw macrumors 601

macs4nw

Not sure about the exact part#, but as hwojtek above pointed out, as long as it's a SATA SSD (For maximum speed advantage preferably a SATA III-6Gb/s) between 7.0 and 9.5mm thick, it should be compatible with your laptop.

Are you aware that you have the option to also increase the memory on that little MBP to 16GB? Apple officially states 8GB is the limit, but 16GB works just fine. Mushkin 2x8 works well.

8. hwojtek macrumors 6502a

hwojtek

One does not upgrade the firmware on a hard/SSD disk. That's what the return policy is for.

9. matverna macrumors newbie

matverna

Actually, performance and stability updates are routine. Every SSD that I considered has regular firmware update releases by its manufacturer, in some cases even adding new features that could be of use. I myself have updated the firmware on my drive, so I respectfully disagree.

10. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

11. hwojtek macrumors 6502a

hwojtek

What features are "of use"? No joke here, serious question. The single firmware upgrade I ever performed was to enable TRIM on an ancient Samsung drive, back in 2010. I can't think of any feature that might be added to an SSD with a firmware patch. This drive died days later, BTW, suffering from unrecoverable hangs.
    Well, actually this is a textbook secundum quid ;)

12. Cdumitru78 thread starter macrumors member

Sweet, I think that might work for me then, I think I can take care of this on my own and hopefully infuse some life into the old machine, I love having it as a back up, but boot time and overall speed has been SLOW... I do have 16Gbs of RAM on it.

13. Macyourdayy macrumors regular

Macyourdayy

I put a Sandisk ultra II 960 in mine (late 2011 17") four weeks ago, but never thought about firmware upgrade issue, especially seeing that I put in in the optibay. I also did the 16G ram upgrade (Crucial 1600mhz) and the sys report shows the SSD link speed as 6G, while the hd links at 3G in the main drive bay.
    So far I've had no stability issues or crashes and the speed seems to be as good or better than our late 2013 i7 Air, even though speed testing gives highly variable results from 140-480MB/s on the Sandisk. I just bought these off amazon after reading many, many reviews and questions for these items, but not the tedious Windows based ones. I'm surprised the extra ram didn't make a big difference in your machine, but before getting these, I had 8G in mine and it was a total dog, even slower than my Cube. Turns out one of the chips failed the hardware test but I never thought to try it as it booted normally and never crashed.

14. Maxx Power, Feb 27, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2016

Maxx Power macrumors 6502a

Maxx Power

Actually, the better manufacturers provide in-OS software to monitor the SSD, blank it, tweak it and update its firmware. Intel has its well known SSD Toolbox, Samsung has their Magician, Sandisk has their SSD Dashboard, etc...

No firmware out of the factory is perfect, let me see, a few examples I have in my head:

(1) Corsair Force 3/GT - serious firmware issue out of the factory leading to dead drives, a few firmware updates were issued very rapidly and sequentially.

(2) OCZ Vertex series - same types of issues, immediate firmware updates to users.

(3) Intel 520/530 series - very reliable series with incorrectly set usage counters in the firmware, such that it always reported very low percentage wear, fixed with a firmware update through the Intel Toolbox.

(4) Samsung 840/840 EVO series - performance degradation to about 1/2 to 1/3rd of fresh performance due to TLC algorithms they employed, at least two firmware updates were issued.

(5) The infamous Nvidia chipset + Sandforce SSD incompatibility - most manufacturers did not bother to release firmwares addressing this issue, which was technically Nvidia's fault, but some tried to allow their SSDs to work on certain Nvidia chipsets, I am not sure if any of those Sandforce drives still work on Nvidia MCP-equipped Macs.

So I think there is good reason to update the firmware, the same way you would let the operating system update itself. In fact, Apple pushes out firmware updates all the time, as well as HP, Dell, etc., through their integrated software updates.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 27, 2016 ---
    The Ultra II series are TLC drives with SLC cache. If you write to the drive past a certain amount, the fast cache gets used up and the speed drops dramatically. Perhaps your testing has revealed some of this behavior ?

I have the same drive, by the way.