Help with the fallen :(

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Patriks7, Aug 18, 2009.

1. Patriks7 macrumors 65816

Patriks7

Today when I got into my room I almost got a heart attack... my MacBook Pro was lying on the floor :( When I picked it up, I saw a nice dent on the right corner (where the HDD is) and now when ever I boot it up, it makes a different sound than before (the HDD that is). Is there any program I can use to check if the hard drive has any problems? As a matter of fact, if anything else on the inside has problems?

Edit: After rebooting again, I found out that the sound is in fact the DVD drive and not the HDD.

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

You can run disk utility and verify disk. Unfortunately, your warranty is voided with that dent. It seems popular response of Apple to say any issues you may have with the unit will be the result of accidental damage.

How did it fall? I know you weren't there but can you guess what happened?

3. Patriks7 thread starter macrumors 65816

Patriks7

Yay, so there goes my 300$ for Apple Care :(

I really have no idea. When I came into my room I looked at everything and saw no way how it could have fallen :confused:

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

That sucks bad. I'd be pissed just not knowing what happened.

5. MWPULSE macrumors 6502a

MWPULSE

Ouch that's gonna hurt. :( to prepare for the worst I'd
    get a new HD n swop it out:). If the HD is clicking then that's pretty bad. A telltale sign if you like:s

PTP

6. Patriks7 thread starter macrumors 65816

Patriks7

I just did the "Verify Disk" in Disk Utility and it claims everything is OK. Now I just have to figure out what's wrong with my DVD drive. But the more I think about it, the less I care about the dent as it now really makes the MacBook mine (if that makes any sense). I just have to figure out how to straighten it out a bit because the battery latch won't close. Luckily enough I have my old HDD at home (that came stock with the MacBook) so if something bad happens, it will take me a couple minutes to swap it out.

7. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

OP, maybe you should look into buying a bottom casing for your MBP and getting somewhere to repair it for you, without apples knowledge, as then, if any problems arise later on (that won't be relating to the dent), you'll still have your warranty.

8. Patriks7 thread starter macrumors 65816

Patriks7

That's a good idea. Unfortunately, I have no idea where I can get it done here, as the only places I go to are official Apple retailers.

9. f2002q macrumors newbie

10. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

DIY my man, DIY.

Is there potential for Apple to notice you replaced the bottom since the serial number stamped on the bottom of the new case won't match that of the system itself?

11. Patriks7 thread starter macrumors 65816

Patriks7

I'll try to, but it won't be easy for me to do that on a $2,000 machine.
    But after seeing the upper case for $300 on iFixit, I think I'll try to straighten it out myself somehow.

12. p3ncil macrumors regular

Then you have to be really lucky then.
    Because there's a serial number laser etched to all the unibody mbp one-piece-buttom cover early 09.

If someone checks it and it's mismatch. I think they'll reject your claim. Unless... you DIY and laser etch exactly...

13. shambo macrumors 6502a

shambo

Macbooks do not simply fall of their own accord. The OP is merely trying to deflect the blame that he actually dropped the unit himself under the belief that his Apple care has not been voided.

14. p3ncil macrumors regular

someone might have dropped it and ran away we never know. afterall, we just try our best to provide solutions.

15. onlnagent macrumors member

You may get lucky and have them check the OS for the serial number?

16. shambo macrumors 6502a

shambo

If the OP left his MBP out at college in and unlocked room then more fool him. These things should be treated like precious stones under lock and key. :D

17. Patriks7 thread starter macrumors 65816

Patriks7

If I would have dropped it myself why would I even post here? You should be paid for being so ignorant.

18. Harmless Abuse macrumors regular

When I had my old Compaq notebook, I would set it on a textbook if I were using it on my bed or anything to make it a flat surface.

Well, my dog likes my bed. She jumped on my bed when I opened the door to let her back into our home, off went my notebook onto the ground. Luckily I have a very low-sitting platform bed so it only fell about 7 inches onto very plush carpet.

That being said, things happen. Just because it fell, doesn't mean you had to be there to witness it.

19. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

how about some pics on the damaged fallen victim?

By the way, the serial number is not printed on the bottom plate. I checked on my uMB and its not labeled there.

20. f2002q macrumors newbie

I just checked the bottom of my uMBP 17 (early 2009) and the serial number is there...

21. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Yeah I guess the MBP's do have the SN stamped on there. Weird that the uMB's dont have it.

22. Patriks7 thread starter macrumors 65816

Patriks7

I'll post some later. Currently the only thing I have with a camera is my iPhone and I don't have my cable for that (last day of vacation and everything is packed...)
    And also, where exactly should this serial number be?

23. yargk macrumors member

I don't see how this is helpful.

24. Patriks7 thread starter macrumors 65816

Patriks7

OK I tried putting in a DVD and now it doesn't make that weird sound again! Only thing I have to do is figure out a way how to straighten out the edge a bit so the battery latch can close and all will be good! Anyone have suggestions how I could do that? This thing is like rock >_<