Help with the MagSafe Adapter?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by melis.cuga, Jul 26, 2011.

1. melis.cuga macrumors newbie

Hi. Just a quick question to see whether any of you have the same problem. I have a new MBP 2011 13" lower end bought couple of months ago. Obviously I have a MagSafe charger and everything had been working well until just recently. I usually leave my adapter plugged in the outlet overnight, even when I'm not charging the laptop, and from time to time, every other day or so, when I plug my macbook in to charge it, it will not respond at all. It is not charging, the light is not on, the battery lights are not on. Nothing. I always check everything, try to pull it out and back in, check for any broken cable or cuts...anything... so far, I found nothing. Adaptor is almost as brand new. The strange part is that whatever I'm doing is useless, and the charger just happens to work again out of the blue after 15-30 minutes. I'm making sure it does not overheat, I have no other problem and I'm slowly running out of ideas what the problem can be. Moreover, when it does start to work again, I can move the cable, charger, do anything... the connection is not interrupted, meaning that there is no problem with cuts etc. Anyone has any ideas? Thanks a lot in advance...

2. Saberon macrumors 6502a

Magsafe chargers are known to be pieces of garbage, and what you are experiencing is no surprise to me. Get it exchanged for free at Apple store with your warranty. (Don't need to bring your MacBook, just write down its serial number and bring that)

3. bjett92 macrumors 6502a

I've never seen this on my 2011 MBP or my older MB and I leave it plugged in whenever it is it at my desk which is a majority of the time. Do you happen to have another MagSafe cable around to test it and see if the problem is the cable? If you take it to the Apple Store (assuming there is one close by) the geniuses will have a cable to let you test it with.

4. cinek macrumors 6502

when I first got my mbp I had similar issues with the charger, it wouldn't charge, then on the 10th or so try it started charging, but that's after I already sorted out a replacement. Didn't have any issues since. You should get it replaced

5. melis.cuga thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks a lot for the responds. yes i mean, i'll probably have it changed using my warranty. do you guys know how that works if I got it of the internet from apple store? I live probably 2 hours from London, that's the nearest retail store. Here in my city there's just a reseller. I probably do need to bring it over, don't I?

6. Mr Kram macrumors 68000

Mr Kram

don't know the protocol there, but i would take it to the reseller just to test it to make sure it's the charger and not the battery or something else.

7. bjett92 macrumors 6502a

Being lucky and living 15 minutes from an Apple Store I have no idea how it works. Might try calling Apple Care and see if you can have one mailed to you?

8. cinek macrumors 6502

I called up apple care, they shipped a replacement and put a charge on my card, I had to send them the faulty adapter (in a free post envelope which came with the replacement) and they took the charge off