Help with the red light in jack

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by raymanrox1, Nov 14, 2010.

1. raymanrox1 macrumors newbie

Hi and thanks for helping.:)

So I have this red light in the jack and after some googling I found out that it was due to the computer thinking that the headphones are still inside.But here's the prob.
    1.This occurs only on my windows partition
    2.Headphones have no sound whatsoever.
    3.Realtek is able to detect correctly when the headphones are in and out.
    4.This is a fresh install of windows which i did twice because of soundlessness.Happened twice with the same problem. :(

Thanks in advance :)

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Have you tried plugging the headphones in and out several times? This at least seems to solve the problem in Mac OS X.

3. raymanrox1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah did that.But it doesn't work:(

4. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

MRoogle what you are looking for on this one ... I think I remember seeing a thread where people fixed it with gently wiggling a toothpick ... trips the sensor :cool:

5. raymanrox1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Mentioned that it works on mac but strangely not on windows(the sound works).So the problem definitely does not lie in the jack but the mac detecting it wrongly

6. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Which drivers are you using? IIRC the latest Boot Camp 3.1.x drivers fixed this in most cases. Have you run Apple Software Update?

B

7. raymanrox1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Good point.Uhhh can i just dll the 3.1 update for my 2.1 bootcamp? lol :D

8. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

The only legit source of the 3.x drivers if you only have 2.x is on a Snow Leopard disc. If you don't have one you can get one for $29.

B

9. huckduck macrumors newbie

uhm, that red light is Optical Audio (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TOSLINK)

it has nothing to do with your headphones being in or out. i'm suspecting the windows drivers aren't up to date for the dual purpose port.

10. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

There is a switch inside the jack that tells it whether something is plugged in or not so it can decide whether or not to turn on the LED. There are plenty of old threads about jiggling a toothpick in the jack to reset the switch, even under OS X.

The Boot Camp 2.x drivers wouldn't turn off the LED, and are as you say not "up to date." This is fixed in the 3.x drivers.

So today this should only be an issue for folks who have not upgraded to BC 3.x or those with a faulty switch.

B