Help with this MacBook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by eperezf, Apr 17, 2011.

1. eperezf macrumors newbie

Hi everyone!

I'm new in this forum and i'm from Chile so i don't have experience with Macs and my english is not perfect.

I got a 2006 White MacBook Model A1181 (1GB RAM, Core 2 Duo 2.1Ghz.) that doesn't wants to start.

I mean. I press the power button and nothing happens!

No CPU fan
    No Lights
    No Screen
    Nothing! (I don't have the HDD. My friend, the owner of the macbook is making a backup)

I took out the RAM and saw a weird white substance in the connection part (both port and RAM itself). I want to take that strange substance out to see if that's the problem. What product do you recommend and how to do it because it is also inside the RAM slot.

I took out the RAM and tried to boot without them. Nothing happened. no reaction at all.

The battery charged fine (from 4 lights to 5) conneced to the MacBook.

I disassembled the top set to see if it was not a Keyboard-Logic Board connection problem. I disconnected it, blew the connection port and connected again... NOTHING.

I also have tested:
    Reset PRAM
    Reset SMC (don't remember if the initials are correct)
    Start with battery only
    Start without battery, only AC.
    Start using those two metal spots near the CPU fan that serves as power on button.

One weird thing is that when i connect both AC and battery to the macbook, i can hear a very very low ticking (like a clock) like 2 or 3 times per second very close to the processor.

I don't have or own any other macbook so i can't test the keyboard or RAM.

Please help! It's out of warranty so i don't mind opening it.

Sorry for my english. I hope i explained my problem correctly. If you need photos ask me.

PD: The macbook doesn't have any liquid spill history so i doubt it's a fried logic board or bad keyboard and it's only 4~5 years old.

2. eperezf, Apr 17, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2011

eperezf thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok. So the white substance is not the problem...

What could be?

EDIT: My friend just told me that the MacBook went off while he was chatting. it simply turned off...

Please help!

3. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

Do I understand correctly that the MacBook does not have a hard drive in it?

4. eperezf thread starter macrumors newbie

Right. He is making a backup of the stuff in the Hard Drive.

5. Frankydan100 macrumors regular

Frankydan100

Have you thought about the fact that the lack of a hard drive may be the reason it is not switching on? As this will be where the OS is stored and where the macbook will boot from.

6. eperezf thread starter macrumors newbie

That's the problem. My friend said that when he tried to turn on again the macbook (with the HDD inside) noting happened. If the macbook didn't have problems, it will, atl east, turn on the screen, the CPU, fan or turn on the power light... Nothing of that happens

7. Frankydan100 macrumors regular

Frankydan100

Have you tried to boot from the OSX installation disc? Make sure its in and hold down 'C' when its booting up.

8. eperezf thread starter macrumors newbie

that's the problem! The disc unit doesn't takes the cd (the motors doesn't work) so i'm afraid the cd will get stuck inside. And without any CD, at least it will start the CPU fan or the power light but nothing happens...