Help with tiger to snow leopard

Discussion in 'iMac' started by jackedupmymac, Sep 23, 2012.

1. jackedupmymac macrumors newbie

I just got the iPhone 5 and realized I couldn't update iTunes to activate it. Upon further research, found out its because I have Tiger and need to get to Snow Leopard to get to Mountain Lion. My friend has a SL install disk 10.6.8. I tried to install it, but got the message that it couldn't be installed. More research done, so I copied everything to my external hard drive and decided I would go ahead and delete Tiger to install SL. Unfortunately, I got the same message that it can't be installed. I also can't access Tiger from my external hard drive because (I'm assuming) I copied and moved to the drive instead of processing as a backup. I can't get the SL disk out to reinstall the original Tiger, either. Can anyone advise how to get SL working?

2. simsaladimbamba

As that Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard DVD is probably a grey Restore DVD, it will not work, as those only work with the specific model they came with.

And simply copying data to an external HDD does not make it bootable, for that you need cloning software like CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper! and a properly formatted external HDD.*

Do you still have your Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger Restore DVDs?

As for getting Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard, either contact Apple to get them from them or peruse eBay, Amazon or Craigslist for a Retail/Upgrade DVD of Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard (which are white and not grey).
    As for running OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion, your Mac might not be able to do so, depending on what specific Mac it is. Do you know what exact iMac you have or when you bought it?

3. jackedupmymac thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you so much! I do still have my Tiger OS disks. I was at the apple store today and they said I would be able to load SL based on the system info I provided. I will try what you suggested and post back if I need more help!

4. jackedupmymac thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay, so still unable to get the disc out! As mentioned previously, I was in the middle of reinstalling the OS. The only screen that is coming up is the initial white screen with the apple. It starts to load and has the rotating circle underneath for a few minutes but then freezes. I tried the eject button on my keyboard, as well as the control, option, O-F, but neither worked. Any other suggestions?

5. lizardofwoz macrumors regular

Toast handles discs independently of the Mac system software. Toast MIGHT help eject the disc.

6. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Quick question...

There's a way to do this without the discs, but only if you have an Intel chip.

I just did it with a USB key. I found the 10.6 dmg online and made a recovery disc.

Now, I own Leopard and Snow Leopard on DVD, but I don't always have them with me, that's why I used a USB key.