help with tightvnc / screen sharing

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jakeopolis, Dec 6, 2008.

1. jakeopolis macrumors member

hey all,

i'm trying to use my mac to control my windows media center, so i'm trying to get screen sharing going from my mac.

i've installed tightvnc on the windows machine (the service, not just the viewer) and it should be running fine. however, when i launch screen sharing and tell it to connect to vnc://ipofwindowsmachine, it tries for about a minute and then says it couldn't establish a connection. i can, however, access the windows machine's files from my mac. does anyone have any suggestions?

2. misterredman macrumors 6502a

misterredman

Do you have a firewall on the windows machine?

3. jakeopolis thread starter macrumors member

oh, yes! i just disabled it and now it's working... can't believe i didn't think of this.

ok, well i'm just using windows built-in firewall. is there a way to keep the firewall on but allow screen sharing connections?

4. misterredman macrumors 6502a

misterredman

Good to hear about that.

I think you need to add the port you are using for vnc to the exceptions in the firewall.

5. jakeopolis thread starter macrumors member

yep, done and done, and working perfectly with the firewall on.

thanks for your help!

one last question: when i open a screen sharing session, i get a message that the host computer isn't using a vnc server that support keystroke encryption. is there a way to either 1) enable keystroke encryption, or 2) disable this annoying message?

thanks!

6. misterredman macrumors 6502a

misterredman

Seems like a common problem. The only solution I see is to use another VNC client on the mac side (instead of using the integrated client).

I personally use this to connect to Macs and PCs:

http://www.jinx.de/JollysFastVNC.html

I also find it faster.

7. jakeopolis thread starter macrumors member