Help with Time Capsule (setup of complete "home") - Drawing included!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Sommer, Jul 19, 2009.

1. Sommer macrumors member

Hey people,

Well, I suppose this must be the right place to ask, and I hope some of you will take time helping me out.

So, I am setting up my system from scratch, and have just ordered the MacBook Pro (2.8, 4gb, 500hb, 512 mb 9600) and is so lucky that I from my job got "Please use a couple of thousands Danish kroner on some electronics or similar that you would like! You cannot get it as cash).

And a couple of thousands danish kroner is just what a time capsule costs! But I don't want it just as backup (to much money), but I want it to let all my peripherals work together, and as a music/shared documents so I can listen to my music on both the MacBook Pro, and on my Windows 7 MediaCenter (running on my television and hifi).

[​IMG]

^^ That will be my setup.

Will it work with all my "required", should something be tweaked (e.g. installing MacOSX on my mediacenter instead, or something like that to make it work), or is something completely ****ed up? :)

Thanks in advance!

By the way, it would be awsome if the Time Capsules offers "internet access" via a nice http://myip/timecapsule URL, or the possibility to add it via internet as a network drive (T:\ on my windows 7 work laptop).

2. madog macrumors 65816

madog

The Time Capsule is just like any other router (for the most part), so yes, you will be able to use all of those peripherals and be able to share files between a Win/Mac. The only downside is the initial process of networking them together. This can be done in a variety of ways because of Windows' (in my opinion, ****** networking), but you can do some google searches and you'll find an extensive list of guides on how to do so.

The bonus of the TC to any other router is the built in network drive, and the USB port. After that, the built in drive can also be a negative due to the fact that it is built in and not meant to be taken out or replaced by yourself.

3. Sommer thread starter macrumors member

And it would be possible then (since you name it a network drive) to put all my music on it and play it directly from this? :) :)

4. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

Absolutely, although it's an Apple product, the setup process is as simple or complicated as any Windows network makes it. You're really just purchasing a consumer NAS built by Apple standards.

Is there a reason the music is going on the media center? I've found accessing movies on Time Capsule to be a frustrating experience due to it's energy saving preferences and spin-up time.

5. Sommer thread starter macrumors member

Well, I want it to be there as it probably requires less than half of the power my mediacenter uses! I uses around 300-400W when on, so it would be great to use instead when listening to music out of my living room (sometimes I sit in my bed, working, and thereby I cannot here the music in the livingroom). Of course I could choose to just copy it around - but it seems so easy ;)

--------

And was it also possible to get access to the Time Capsule from the net?

6. Sommer thread starter macrumors member