Help with Time Capsule with a new modem

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Lyons00, Apr 10, 2013.

1. Lyons00 macrumors 6502

Hi,
    I did a search and couldn't find what I'm looking for. What is the easiest way to setup my Time capsule with a new modem? I will be using wifi with the time capsule. I just got a new modem and the time capsule keeps flashing a amber light. It was working off wifi before I got the new modem.

Thanks, Jerry

2. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

First off is the modem configured as a router, or just as a modem? You may not know the answer but if you look up the brand & model number of your modem we can make an educated guess on that.

In a nutshell, your Time Capsule can be configured as a router, or as just a wifi access point. You must have a router on your network, but ideally you only want one - so if your modem is also a router, you should enable the router feature only on one of them (the modem or the TC). On the TC that's done on the Network tab of the AirPort utility, set Router Mode typically to "DHCP and NAT" (to use it as a router) or "Off (Bridge Mode)" if your modem will be your router.

The other thing to check is the Internet tab in the AirPort utility, normally you set Connect Using to "DHCP" but there can be exceptions.

3. waw74 macrumors 68030

try unplugging your modem and airport (time capsule) for about 30 seconds, hopefully that should sort everything out.

if that doesn't work, go into airport utility open the internet tab, what does the "connect using" option say.

4. Lyons00 thread starter macrumors 6502

It says connected
    router address
    DNS servers
    domain name
    Is this what your asking me? Sorry mostly new to a iMac

5. Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

Then you've configured it as an access point. I'd suggest that you read the setup guide, page 13ff.

6. Lyons00 thread starter macrumors 6502