Help with time machine

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Gadd, Dec 8, 2011.

1. Gadd macrumors newbie

I have recently bought a new WD world book 2Tb wireless back up drive, i was wondering how to set it up with time machine as every time i try to select it as a hard drive it says an unknown error occurred or that it is incompatible, i have tried various passwords and usernames on various forums, with no luck, do i need to update the firmware on the drive, if so, where from as this really isn't obvious from their website as there are about 3 different places you can register your device, none of them useful as far as i can see.

thanks in advance :D

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

How is the drive formatted? It needs to be HFS+ (Mac OS Extended (Journaled)) if you intend it to work with Time Machine.

HFS+ (Hierarchical File System, a.k.a. Mac OS Extended)
    • Read/Write HFS+ from native Mac OS X
    • Required for Time Machine or Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper! backups of Mac internal hard drive.
      [*]To Read/Write HFS+ from Windows, Install MacDrive
      [*]To Read HFS+ (but not Write) from Windows, Install HFSExplorer
    • Maximum file size: 8EiB
    • Maximum volume size: 8EiB

3. johnhurley macrumors 6502a

johnhurley

Go into disk utility application ( it is one of the utilities ) and reformat the drive ( erase it and create in mac os x format ).

Can you hook it up directly to your machine ( skip the wireless part ) until you get if straightened out?

4. Tumbleweed666 macrumors 68000

Is this not a NAS drive? In which case AFAIK NAS is generally not compatible or supported with Time Machine?

5. tug macrumors 6502

you say its wireless, have you tried setting it using airport utility yet?