Help with time machine

Gadd

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 16, 2011
Leeds
I have recently bought a new WD world book 2Tb wireless back up drive, i was wondering how to set it up with time machine as every time i try to select it as a hard drive it says an unknown error occurred or that it is incompatible, i have tried various passwords and usernames on various forums, with no luck, do i need to update the firmware on the drive, if so, where from as this really isn't obvious from their website as there are about 3 different places you can register your device, none of them useful as far as i can see.

thanks in advance :D

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
How is the drive formatted? It needs to be HFS+ (Mac OS Extended (Journaled)) if you intend it to work with Time Machine.

HFS+ (Hierarchical File System, a.k.a. Mac OS Extended)
  • Read/Write HFS+ from native Mac OS X
  • Required for Time Machine or Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper! backups of Mac internal hard drive.
    [*]To Read/Write HFS+ from Windows, Install MacDrive
    [*]To Read HFS+ (but not Write) from Windows, Install HFSExplorer
  • Maximum file size: 8EiB
  • Maximum volume size: 8EiB

johnhurley

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2011
I have recently bought a new WD world book 2Tb wireless back up drive, i was wondering how to set it up with time machine as every time i try to select it as a hard drive it says an unknown error occurred or that it is incompatible, i have tried various passwords and usernames on various forums, with no luck, do i need to update the firmware on the drive, if so, where from as this really isn't obvious from their website as there are about 3 different places you can register your device, none of them useful as far as i can see.

thanks in advance :D
Go into disk utility application ( it is one of the utilities ) and reformat the drive ( erase it and create in mac os x format ).

Can you hook it up directly to your machine ( skip the wireless part ) until you get if straightened out?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.