Help with tracking stolen iPad

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by binaryskies, Jul 2, 2013.

1. binaryskies macrumors regular

binaryskies

Alright, I've done research and consider myself pretty knowledgable when it comes to the ins and outs of iOS and the devices, but I am stumped. Here's the situation:

A friend of mine deployed in the sandbox asked me if I knew of any way to see what computer (either the exact one or if it was a desktop or laptop) an iPad was restored on. He works at a hospital where they use iPads and one was stolen. After several threats of everyone getting punished, the scumbag returned it anonymously but restored it to factory settings before doing so. The reason for wanting to track the computer (either the exact one or the type) that was used to restore it is so they can narrow down the staff and see who stole since iTunes keeps the serial number and UDID of any device backed up. Hopefully this makes sense and someone here has a solution. Thanks for the help!

-binaryskies

2. lelisa13p macrumors 68000

lelisa13p

If by "restored" you mean "reset all settings", it can be done via the iPad itself under Settings > General > Reset and choosing Erase All Content and Settings. No computer is necessary.