Help with transferring a single app to new iMac please

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Villain101, Oct 19, 2013.

1. Villain101 macrumors newbie

I was hoping to get some advice please

I am going to be ordering a Haswell iMac next week. I plan to use Setup Assistant to move my documents, videos, pictures and music across. I would like to avoid importing applications as I don't want apps that will clutter my nice fresh system coming across from my old iMac (For one thing I rather stupidly downloaded a trial of Virus Barrier 6 a few years ago. It really slowed my system down and even when uninstalled the system never seemed as responsive as before, so I don't want to risk importing any left over rubbish from that mistake!)

My puzzle lies in the fact that I believe the choice when using Setup Assistant is to 'import ALL applications' or none. However I would like to move Microsoft Office for Mac 2008 across as I don't want to repurchase it.

Is there a reliable way just to move one piece of software across? I have the original Office disks but they're not much good to be on a new iMac!

I have the product key for the software (actually there are three product keys in the box).

I will likely buy Office for Mac 2014 when it is released in April but will need office before then for when I'm working from home.

Any advice gratefully received :)

2. DianeK macrumors regular

I don't know the answer to all your questions but I can tell you that Microsoft Office doesn't migrate well. I just did this a month ago, and after I migrated it it wouldn't accept my product keys - every time I closed an application and reopened it asked for my product key again. When I called Microsoft support they said I had to uninstall it and reinstall it however Microsoft 2011 doesn't come with an uninstaller so I had to trash all the files and folders related to Office. You have an older version and it may have an uninstaller. Just thought I would share my experience with Office 2011.

3. Confusius macrumors regular

My advice: switch to NeoOffice or openoffice.org - both are good and free (open source) Office solutions and who knows, after getting used to them, you may not even want to buy MS Office 2014 anymore when it comes out in a few months' time.

4. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

Actually you can use Remote Disk to reinstall Office 2008 on your new iMac. Read up on it at:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5287?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

5. activate macrumors regular

I would reinstall Office (or get rid of it ;) ) and copy your documents across like you already are.